Friday, August 7, 2020

The Worm King and Other Things

 All the photos I just selected loaded into the post in reverse order. Sigh ... do any of you still have trouble with this new blogger arrangement? I'll just go through them in this order!

I decided it's time to paint some autumnal cards. I was in the mood for ink with my watercolor.

Adam fried shrimp, squash, and dill pickles for dinner the other night. All delicious -- we dipped the shrimp in a remoulade sauce and the veggies in ranch dressing.
Do any of you remember little aprons on the dish soap bottles? I made this the other day. It needs a piece of elastic around the bottom, because it slips around too much when I pick up the bottle.
We found a lovely fabric store in New Bern! I was shocked; I thought it was just for upholstery, but they had everything, and at such good prices! The upholstery remnants were cheap. We found fabric for two more vests for Adam. This wool plaid excited him. The striped fabric will be the back and lining.
This fabric below is for the second vest. It's also wool, and is bluer than it looks in the photo, more the color of the thread.

At the thrift store this week, I found a box of silver plate flatware -- about 50 pieces. I do NOT need 50 pieces of flatware, esp. in patterns I'm not wild about. But I couldn't resist the two sugar spoons (one shown below), the butter/cheese knives, and a few spoons. We're always running out of spoons. They polished up very nicely!

The two patterns involved:
Before polishing:

Tuesday night after Bible study, the sky was this:
I have a fun story to tell. I'm part of a facebook group for beginner watercolor folks. A lady there (British, I thinkk) shared a little painting she did. Her daughter asked her to paint a picture of a worm, wearing a crown, in outer space. So she complied. It was adorable, and all of us liked and loved it, etc. Several people said, "Oh! Worm King looks like he needs to have a story to go along with that picture of him!" The artist said, "I don't have that kind of imagination." I looked at that painting and immediately thought, "I could write a story about that worm in an hour." The painting just BEGGED to have its story told; it was easy. So I told her, and then I wrote it, and then I sent it to her. She was excited about the story of Worm King in outer space (that makes me giggle!), and was inspired to keep painting pictures for the story, and her children love it! She's putting her paintings in a spiral book with the text I wrote along the side of each painting page. I don't know if it will ever become anything, but what's most exciting is that SHE is a truly gifted children's book illustrator (in my opinion -- it seems to come naturally to her), and I think my gifts are more in writing -- it seems to come naturally to me. But we both needed a prompt, a push. Perhaps more artistic folks need to push each other, ever so gently.
(This painting is by Lou Tom. I don't know her full name. But it's her intellectual property, so please do not copy. Isn't he cute?)

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

That silver sugar spoon is so pretty! I know I wouldn't have resisted either.
The Worm King is awesome. Makes me think of youngest son's doodling. He's usually scorekeeper when we play games and I'm keeping all those sheets that are covered with his quirky doodles.

I do have problems with the new blogger and am so thankful for my DIL's help in figuring out what to do.
I like your autumnal cards. Are you thinking Fall already??

Sandi said...

Tell us the story! 😃

Retired Knitter said...

Well I was very impressed by the outer space surrounding the worm. So realistic! I love your fall pictures.

gretchenjoanna said...

What a happy collaboration! I'm so glad you jumped on that.

Lisa Richards said...

Wow, she is talented! I hope we hear the full story someday! I love Ranch Dressing for dipping! Keep up all the good creative work! :)

Lisa Richards said...

I'm having problems with Blogger, too. I'll have to figure out how to make my pictures less HUGE. I'm adding only a picture or two at a time and commenting as I go along. Change is hard. I'm not sure it's always necessary. ;)