Thursday, September 3, 2020

Managing Hens

 Hens! They are crazy. I'm fortunate enough to have hens that want to be mamas -- they want to be broody and set a clutch of eggs for 21 days and the commit to a bunch of air-headed baby chicks for weeks. 

Henny Penny is the head mama hen right now. She's the best mama; other hens will give up on a clutch of eggs after a week or two, but not Henny Penny! We started with eleven eggs, but to be honest I didn't know if Roo-Roo, our young rooster, was doing his job ... were those eggs fertilized? It turns out only two of them were!

Four other hens decided they wanted to be broody too -- four! Then hunkered down with Henny Penny in the box, piled on top of each other, and piled on top of those 11 eggs. It was a circus. Hens stop laying eggs when they are broody, so ... well, if you watch the video below, you'll see. If you advance to 3:45 minutes in, you'll skip straight to the chicken part:


Don't forget to "like" the video, and click on "Subscribe" and on the bell, so you can see all the videos on my channel -- if you like. 

Happy Friday, all!

7 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Well that little video was fun. Bee Balm! Sounds wonderful. You sell this? I didn't see a place on your blog for it.

Granny Marigold said...

My but it looks so peaceful around Red Robin Farm. Your hens are a delight but that rooster better get his act together.

Una said...

I've never managed to understand fully how or when eggs are fertilised! I am a real "towny"! My eggs come from the supermarket in boxes. Yours probably taste better.

Una said...

Oh,dear! I've just read back through your posts. I'm sorry your hubby has been so ill. But it seems like he is on the right treatment now. His bread looks delicious!

Leigh said...

What a pretty hen. What breed is she? We haven't had baby chicks in years. Sadly, none of our hens is interested in setting. We need new chickens!

gretchenjoanna said...

I always love to visit your hens <3

Lisa Richards said...

Enjoyed the video! It's so pleasant to hear of what you're doing with your natural products. Enjoy those chickens! :)