Wednesday, September 30, 2020

To the Dreaded Doctor I Go!

 Well, hello friends! How are you? We are tootling along okay here in our little corner of the planet. But tomorrow ... oh, tomorrow!! Tomorrow will be quite awful. Tomorrow:

Most of you know what that means. And what follows the day after! Adam says a colonoscopy just feels like a very nice nap. I'm hoping!

I wove a scarf using some of my newly handspun yarn! The warp yarn is a store-bought acrylic (for strength under the warp tension), and the weft yarn is homespun.
The little lady below is an treetop Christmas angel. She's very old. A dear friend asked me if I could give her (I'm calling her Angela) a serious make-over, so I started that project today. I'll have a youtube video about that later.
Adam is trying so hard to cook for my health. I'm pre-diabetic. Long-grain brown rice. Lots of fruits, veggies, and lean meats. No more ice cream in the evenings!
For at least one meal each day I eat an assortment of some of these: prunes, crackers/cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, celery with PB, natural applesauce, walnuts, raw carrots. No more sweet drinks or juice. I'm drinking my herbal tea each day.

Here's the blue/pink yarn I spun.

Back before my doctor read me the riot act about my eating habits, back when we were still eating naughty ...

bread pudding and rum sauce for dinner ~

and a pumpkin danish from the bakery in town ~

No more of that!

The other day I was cleaning out an old purse, and I found some items I'd forgotten I'd left in there. One was a very precious thing, a small photo of my brother and me, taken on the seawall steps leading into Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans. I was 5 years old.


My mother gave me that short haircut. We lived there for only one year. I think this photo was taken by a couple who babysat Marshall and me for the weekend while my parents traveled somewhere. The steps are still there, just the same.

One more yarn photo. I think it's the prettiest one so far.

If you haven't seen my recent youtube videos, here are a few. Some are longer and chatty, some are shorter. Feel free to fast forward through any boring parts! Spinning is so exciting right now, it's hard for me to do anything else!
This is about making herbal tea:

This is about my brand new spinning wheel that I was able to buy!!

This is a long chatty video about lots of things, but mostly finishing handspun yarn:

Thanks, dear friends. I have lots of various medical things coming up, and will be in and out of blogland 😁 Subscribe to my youtube channel, if you like, and you might see me over there! 
Much love ~


6 comments:

Claire said...

You are a woman of many talents!!
God bless you!
Claire

Angela said...

I take it you haven't had a colonoscopy before? The prep is bad but I agree with Adam- I felt like I had a very nice nap both times I have had one. Good luck! Your scarf is absolutely lovely!

Lisa Richards said...

I've been enjoying your YouTube videos! Haven't seen the herbal tea one yet. The last time I tried making herbal tea I was allergic to it. So I hesitate to do that. Probably a fluke! I agree with Adam about the colonoscopy. I've had two with no problems, but probably won't have any more. It's so hard to change eating habits, but you can do it! Especially if the cook is helping out! ;) I just have to try to keep the bad stuff out of the house! What a neat find in that purse! God bless you two!

Granny Marigold said...

I have a SIL who is prediabetic and she has her container of nuts
( raw, of course) and eats a handful with every snack and/or meal. Even when they come for tea she won't eat a thing without accompanying it with nuts. Seems to be working for her. She's 84 and can run circles around me.
I've been told that the prep for a colonoscopy is the only troublesome part. I hope all goes well for you.
An old photo that turns up is indeed a treasure. There aren't many of me as a child but those that I have I'm so happy for.

Retired Knitter said...

The colonoscopy itself isn't bad. You husband is correct. It is the prep that is hard.

Pom Pom said...

Hi MK! I hope your colonoscopy went fine. I've given up dairy and wheat and cut down on gf baked goods. I think I've had more than my fair share in my 62 years! No cheese. No peanut butter. That helps. Also, not a lot of red meat is necessary. Exercise is so important, I must admit. The thin people I know who don't fret about food DO exercise regularly. I like to do so many sitting things!
Yay for spinning! xoxo