Friday, September 7, 2007

Too pooped to post!

Actually, it wasn't that bad of a week. Only 4 days of work - how can I complain? I now have: about 50 summer reading essays to grade, 53 other essays to grade, 19 or so other writing assignments, and I'm giving tests to all my students on Monday - essay tests. The parents always screech: "Teach to them write! Make them write! They must learn to write!"

Have you heard of the depression that people experience when winter lasts too long, when it drags into March? Well, THAT'S exactly how I feel right now. I dislike summer, always have. But when it lasts into September, relentless heat, 94 degrees and you feel it baking you in waves from the pavement - then I can barely stand it. I want to scream, "Change that weather pattern!" The meteorologists know we feel this way, and they place a sharp weather shift on the forecast, hovering mysteriously and permanently about 5 days away. It's as impossible to catch as your shadow.

What will we be studying in literature class after these upcoming tests, you ask? We'll move on to the Middle Ages and dear Mr. Chaucer, to Sophocles and sad Oedipus, his king, and to some American fiction at last. Those Americans had to win their revolution, evidently, before they could entertain themselves with writing any stories down.


No comments: