Saturday, March 3, 2018

Remembering: A Beautiful Life

Life has been rather stressful for about a week. I won't go into details, but redoing the kitchen is only the icing on the Anxiety Cake, if you will. The kitchen is coming along. (More photos on that in my next post.) But to cope, I have been escaping to Idaho via some homesteading videos from the Fouch family, who've been off-grid homesteading there for four years. It's not been easy. I love her videos. Give this one a look:

She talks about searching for the beautiful life, and how much work it is. This family is in that stage that I now remember and miss -- having children at home, young children who love to play and learn. It makes me think of our years with our children, and this video (which I went hunting for yesterday) takes me back ...
(That's Julia swinging and Sandy in her usual support role.)
Last night I dreamed I was outside at our farm, and I turned around, and Peter was walking toward me. I started crying -- I wasn't expecting him to come -- and he wrapped me in one of his amazing hugs. I can tell my heart is aching for my children, and it's also aching a little for those mysterious grandchildren who I don't have yet. There's a reason they call it The Empty Nest. A nest is built for baby birds. What's a nest, if there are no baby birds in it?
We didn't have a perfect family life, or even an easy one. We're not low-key, "chill" folks, and I so often wish we were! I wonder if our kids had enough fun, enough play. I wanted them to have rich worlds of imagination and creativity, but I also interrupted their play because I was focused on their learning (and thus, my teaching). Now I wish I had them back just for a day, so I could watch them play. To watch a few moments of the beautiful life of children.

On to the kitchen! Today is the last push getting shelves up!

3 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Now I'm crying! I know what you mean exactly. For most of my children's growing up years we lived in such poverty in our little homemade cabin. But they seemed to enjoy their freedom, made possible by homeschooling. Kids always seem to make the best of things as long as they're fed and loved. I do miss those days, but it helps knowing they're all excited about pursuing their own dreams. It's sad most of them are so far away. Those hugs and phone calls are just too far between. I LOVE the Fouches! I wondered why you had the picture of their house on your blog, and then I saw it was a video, lol. I follow several Idaho homesteaders: the Fouches, the Idaho Hillbilly and Starry Hilder. Hard working folks, but it reminds me of what I loved about being in the country! (And will love again! It's gonna happen!)

Granny Marigold said...

I like the little video and love the family picture. What a sweet photo it is.
I made so many mistakes in my parenting and it makes me so very sad that I can't go back and change a single thing.Not one of my 5 is walking with the Lord... that is the saddest thing for me.

Carol Blackburn said...

Such a beautiful family photo. Your children have been blessed.