Friday, March 30, 2018

The Apple Blossom

Here are the various iterations of the apple blossom.
The original photo -- the artwork of God.
A filtered version of the photo for my blog banner:
My first watercolor, on bad paper:
My second watercolor attempt, this time on watercolor paper, without colored pencil outlining:
This soft look is much more what I had in mind, although I do miss some of the white veining I accomplished in the first painting attempt. Here are the two together, for comparison:
It's a little hard to push myself to paint something again that I've already painted once -- it's a new step in painting, re-engaging myself in a thing of exquisite beauty (God's flower, not mine). Part of the challenge is admitting that the first attempt was bad enough to warrant a second go. The watercolor paper is a challenge, but it's certainly fun.

5 comments:

Kezzie said...

I think they look beautiful! Wish I had joined in your Autumn challenge! I WILL do some watercolours at some point!

Lisa Richards said...

I really like the soft version on the watercolor paper. The white veining was great also. It takes so much patience to leave white areas! And I almost never paint anything more than once. I need to develop that kind of patience. ;) Lately I've done some of my watercolor ATCs on recycled cardboard from candy boxes. I have to admit, watercolor paper does work better. It was a nice experiment, but it showed me there was a reason folks invented watercolor paper, lol.

Granny Marigold said...

Good for you redoing the painting even if you didn't much feel like it. The second one is my favourite with the softer outlines.

Henny Penny said...

You are so talented. The second is my favorite too, but both are beautiful. I enjoy looking at your drawings in the little mouse book.

GretchenJoanna said...

That second one is certainly taking it to the next level! Way to go!

Blessed Easter! Christ is risen! May your hearts be full.