Monday, March 12, 2018

Rainy Day Behaviors

If our local fabulous thrift store hadn't swapped over all their inventory to SPRING!!!, Adam and I would not have left the house on this dreary, rainy, cold day.
 So now I'm back, in my "inspiration room," as Adam calls it, gazing out the window. I found this pretty candle topper at the thrift store this morning ... 50 cents! 
 Doing a little painting.
 I made more vegetable soup yesterday. With crunchy toast, it's a good lunch on a damp day.
 I'm still eating up the applesauce from last summer.
 Hot Darjeeling tea with the last two cookies .(boohoo!)
 I'm always interested in youtube channels that are pleasant to listen to/watch. This is an Irish lady (with a few wacky ideas, but hey, I love her cottage!). Look at her kitchen!
 What a lovely, old, cottagey kitchen. Perfect! Flower Lady from Florida first alerted me to this youtube station. Thank you, FL!
 Look at her beautiful larder. She uses every inch of space. And the glass jars :)

 Here's the video I enjoyed today. Skip over if you get tired of the bedroom.

Bealtaine Cottage is in Ireland. And if you're more of a garden person than a kitchen person, her garden tours are gorgeous as well. Her voice is a soft, lilting Irish voice that nearly mesmerizes you, which is easy to do on a drowsy, rainy day like today.
Adam was getting creative before the rain came. He's making a portable desk -- some might call it a lap desk, except he won't use it on his lap. He'll take it to the park and elsewhere. It will hold his books and paper and ink and pens. Very handy. He's cutting all the dovetails by hand.
 He also started on this large concrete pot. He'll make two of them.
Now I must go change from my comfy clothes and drive away to teach my Monday ladies' Bible study at a friend's house. Eight of us come, when we can. We've been meeting for nearly four years, I think. I'm sure we'll all be talking about the weather, of course! Snow in March, in our neck of the woods, is conversation-worthy.
Tonight, maybe I'll bake some more oatmeal cookies, find a good British TV show, and snuggle down on the couch with the doggies while the snow falls. You?

6 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I love the Bealtine Cottage videos, too, but she seemed to get more and more "in your face" with her new age stuff, so I decided to go elsewhere. I can take a little hint of that, but too much bothers my inward parts. She's free to believe what she wants, but I don't need it coming into my ears. Maybe I should just turn the sound off and enjoy the view! :) My son posted pictures of his snowy southern Kentucky yard. Weird weather. I snuck a package of Keebler Grasshopper cookies into my cart today. I just get a hankering for a little something chocolate even when I'm trying to eat healthier. I don't even keep baking ingredients in the house cause I know I'll eat too much of it! ;) But I love to see what everyone else is baking! Enjoy that British movie. I'm reading another Julie Klassen book which, of course, takes place in England. Yay! :)

Granny Marigold said...

I like your candle topper. Chickadees are one of my favourite birds. They seem always cheerful and sing Winter and Summer alike.
I'll wait until this evening to check out the Irish lady and her cottage. No doubt that video will lead me to others and I will spend a delightful evening watching YouTube!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I woke up to COLD temps donw here in s.e. FL, 48 and feels like 42. Brrrr! I'm planning to make some black eyed peas with ham and maybe bake something sweet too.

The Irish lady from Beltaine cottage does have some different beliefs/ideas, but I love her cottage and her gardens and her lovely voice. A widow friend of mine turned me on to her. I need to watch the vidoe you posted here.

It is always inspiring to see someone living 'small' and she is so artistic. I want to be 'more' like her.

Enjoy your sweet home, being creative in your different mediums and in the projects completed.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Pom Pom said...

Thank you for the lovely letter, friend! I'll write you back, I promise! Thanks for the Youtube tip! I like it.
Oh, cozy. Such a lovely thought, word, feeling.
I hope the weather warms.

GretchenJoanna said...

I only watched half of the bedroom video but in that time she used two phrases that I read just yesterday in a book set in Ireland, "bits and bobs," and "liquid lunch"!

That bedroom is too dark for me! I saw that it had a small window with a shade pulled down... but my own house has few enough windows, and seeing that room made me realize how much I appreciate having at least a large space, if it must be somewhat dim.

Carol Blackburn said...

I must get to the Thrift Shops soon. It's been quite some time and I'm sure there is all sorts of new things to search through. We have a Goodwill Warehouse about 100 miles from here that is such a crazy place. They have everything they've collected from the drop boxes in large roll around bins that they fill the floor with...then they blow a loud whistle and let the shoppers rummage through everything and fill shipping carts. It's like one of those old TV shows "Supermarket Sweep." Don't know if you know that one or not. But it's horrendously hostile at times as ladies push and shove to grab at things they want. Then you go to the register and pay by the pound. Well, we went once and once is enough for us. There was this lady who kept throwing things where we were taking things out to get at something at the bottom and when Mike told her to stop throwing things at us she threatened to have us forceably removed for causing a ruckus because they didn't allow that there. Some nerve. Mike started tossing the things back in her direction and I just stood there appalled at the whole scenario. She finally left us alone and stopped tossing stuff at us. Did I say crazy.....I meant it. Enjoy your relaxing evening. We are in the midst of a 24 hr. snowstorm about to drop 18" on us again. I have been baking today. The house is so cozy.