Wednesday, October 22, 2014

No Grief

(I've been pondering a quote that GretchenJoanna shared on her blog, and this poem resulted.)


Do not write sadly of a last sunset,
a final kiss,
or that you smelt 
a loaf of warm bread
and did not know
it was your last.
This grief is a lie that fools tell.
This is why we have eternity, love.
Sunsets, kisses, satisfying smells
and all other goodnesses
are eternal.

How happy I will be when I know
I have heard my last lie,
felt my last twinge,
smelt my last whiff of decay.
I will write of that,
I will sing of that,
forever.


Oriental, NC
copyrighted by the author

6 comments:

Angela said...

Love, love this.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love this too.

hjones said...

Precious.

Mary Ann Potter said...

Amen and amen. We have so much to look forward to!

Lisa Richards said...

Yes!! :) Almost a year after my husband's passing I find that the thing that brings tears is when I think of the pain and bewilderment he went through in his last days. When I think of Bob, himself, as he is right now, I can feel only joy! I feel like some people think I didn't grieve enough. But I did my grieving before he died. We have so much to look forward to. We aren't going to have any reason to look back and wish we could return to this fallen world! Good poem, dear! :)

Sandi said...

This is so true: this world is not our home. Filled with beauty though it is, this world is now filled with pain as well. Lovely words.