Thursday, November 29, 2018

A Farm Stroll and Four Hats

 Out the window
 Basil seeds
 Loofah -- dying, but with new pods and blooms

 Rosemary, to bed for winter
 Strawberry bed under its straw
 A massive volunteer cherry tomato plant, alas, too late!
 Garden beds in winter
 The greenhouse, overgrown
 Nearly-dry gourd
 Gourds curing
 Speckled poison ivy against a hurricane-felled tree
 Virginia Creeper
 Basil against a fall sky
 Farm field
 Now for some hats I made this week. It was a very "hatty" week!
This one is all wool, and long enough to cover the ears. I wanted the knitting to be sideways along the edge. Then I picked up stitches and finished the hat to the top in the standard way.
A fluffy acrylic yarn, below. I extended the edges at the ears for coverage and added the "tail." This hat narrows toward the top.
 This hat mimics the cloche style, a very fluffy yarn:
 My favorite - a heavy, warm acrylic yarn, knitted entirely sideways so that the cabling and yarn overs swirl around the head. It has a seam up the back, of course.

Are your needles busy? Have you been for any chilly walks outside?

5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I love the hats! Well done, MK!
I finally remembered to get some money at the grocery store today so I can send you my book payment!

Granny Marigold said...

A garden in winter can look kind of lonely.
I didn't know speckled poison ivy existed.
It looks deceptively beautiful.

Lisa Richards said...

You're turning out the goods! I have a hankering to knit, but things are a little too crazy right now. Maybe in January! Reading is my hobby of choice at the moment. Not too complicated. ;) The basil pods are crazy cool!

Henny Penny said...

The garden pictures are pretty. I have never seen speckled poison ivy! It looks like is has a case of poison ivy itself. :) I wish I were smart enough to knit. If so, my needles would be busy. My little book arrived safely. I love it and will always treasure it.

GretchenJoanna said...

Is that poison ivy naturally like that? It looks diseased! We don't have poison ivy out here, but we have poison oak!

I think I still have one gourd from when I grew them 30 years ago. I had planned to make things out of them, and I never did.