Friday, November 9, 2018

Doings This Week

We remain busy. I told the Prayer Shawl ladies yesterday that I wish I could have some minor injury that would keep me in bed for a week, so I could stay in my pajamas, eat popcorn, and watch shows ... and slow down. One lady laughed and said, "One day would be enough. You'd be ready to be up again." She's right.

I made a (what do the British call it?) ... a pig's breakfast of this long scarf. I'll be messing with it for a while to make it work.
 But it's off the loom, that's what counts. 
Now I've moved on to a scarf weave with some pretty autumn colors. I love that Wool-Ease yarn. Such luscious colors. {{{Sigh}}} I love autumn. I know, I said that before, haha!
 I made a batch of soap: tea tree, vanilla, and warm cider scents.
 

And I've spent much time folding, stapling, signing, and mailing out "The Thanksgiving Mice" books. Quite fun! Thank you so much, all you readers out there! (Don't forget to send in your payment to get your book shipped to you!)

The dogs are snoozier and snoozier.
 Despite cute little mouse stories, we are at war with mice in this house, and we've pretty much won the war! We have safe poison traps scattered around, but Adam's carefully sealing up all their access points. Ha!
This little fellow died after nibbling one of my old Chopin albums.

Here's some of my homemade deodorant. I delivered it to a fellow who lives on a boat.
 I mentioned the storm damage to the Methodist church. Well, they threw a big fund-raising party on Wednesday, called a Mad Buffalo Party. It was delightful and so festive!
 A HUGE baked potato bar ~
 Hot chocolate with a stunning assortment of sprinkly things to add to your cup ~
 And fabulous desserts. I chose this one, a mixed apple pie baked in cast iron. Oh my ... so, so good.
 See the buffalo plaid? It was everywhere, a warm theme.
They set up a little Christmas Shop in a closet. It was so fun to finger ornaments, wreaths, Christmas nibbles in cellophane! And everything that wasn't nailed down was for sale.

 They even had a crackling fire on the screen overhead, plus cozy music playing.

I found some prizes at the thrift store this week. This skirt I wore to the Mad Buffalo Party.
 I found two panels of sheers that are a vast improvement over what I had (dark maroon).
 

Yesterday we had a sad loss; one of my chickens, Autumn, died. I didn't know she'd been ill -- some respiratory sickness. Bless her heart :(

I won't enlarge that photo, because who needs a bigger picture of a sick chicken? I'm now down to a rooster and five hens, and one of undetermined sex who I think will present himself as a rooster here soon. One doesn't need more than a single rooster, and sometimes even he is too much.

Today I'm weaving, knitting, writing and painting a bit, and preparing for the farmer's market tomorrow. I hope your Friday goes well and your weekend is lovely!

5 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Love the Wool Ease yarn! And the apple pie! Cozy post! :)

GretchenJoanna said...

I know how you feel -- or do I? I'm not sure I remember how it felt to be as young as you are!! But no matter how much one loves autumn, don't you think it is the season that makes you naturally slow down? Which conflicts with the creative energy it gives YOU! I hope you find the resting point :-)

happyone said...

Beautiful yarn.
Oh my all those goodies to eat.
I'd hate to have to stay in bed even one day!! : ) I'm up as soon as I wake up in the morning.

Granny Marigold said...

Poor Autumn. Your little flock is getting smaller all the time.
Your Mad Buffalo party sounds like fun. I love the idea of a Christmas shop in a closet. It's nice to see Christmas decorations going up. I never think it's too early ( I haven't started yet but soon...)
Sorry you keep having so much on your plate. You do get a lot done.

Elaine (Retired Knitter) said...

What a fun looking event. Sorry about the chicken. Hope the others stay healthy.