Friday, November 2, 2018

Busy, Busy, Busy!

This week our winterish weather reversed a bit, and now it feels like autumn. I'm happy to see rain pouring down outside my studio window this morning because that means I can stay home. I've been dashing around All Week Long! I'm not exactly sure where all the hours went, but I know I didn't get done the things I wanted to get done .... I didn't finish this weaving, in spite of sitting up from 10 - midnight last night because I couldn't sleep.

I made a second jewelry pouch for my customer, but messed up the placement of the magnet. Ugh. So I have to go back and redo some of it.

One morning I remembered I wanted to dig some volunteer tomatoes from the veggie garden, nestle them in pots for the winter, and put them on the front porch.

See the ladder? Adam has so many different projects going. That ladder means the porch soffit still needs to be repaired from the hurricane. He's also refinishing our kitchen door.
 He got nearly all the paint off and put on a nice stain, but our poly sealer was hard as a rock in its can, and that will have to be done another day!
I taught Bible study, enjoyed Pamlico Chorale rehearsal, had a most lovely visit with a friend in New Bern (plus lunch in a cool restaurant!), and drove to Greenville with another friend who had a doctor's appt., after going to Prayer Shawl and teaching a piano lesson. The church where the Prayer Shawl ladies meet was heavily damaged by Hurricane Florence. 
 Oriental United Methodist Church

 The roof was not sufficient to the storm. They've had to strip one wall back to the brick.
After months of procrastinating (okay, honestly, just putting off doing it for no good reason!) I finally had my "The Thanksgiving Mice" children's book printed in town.


If you liked my Punkin book, this one is sillier :) The arrival of Thanksgiving on the horizon motivated me to get them printed so I can sell them at the market. If you'd like to buy one (soft-cover, $10 which includes shipping inside the U.S.A.), leave me a comment, and we will try to email or facebook message to exchange addresses.
Punkin, Bernie, Ethel
I hate to tell you this, but last week my three old chickens disappeared. They probably disappeared in the company of a coyote, but we don't know for sure. I miss them; my other chickens are not as friendly. Bernie never, ever attacked me, and Punkin and Ethel laid such nice, big eggs.
Plus, Ned got a hold of one of my other hens this week and traumatized her. She's not recovered yet.
She looks pretty raggedy.


What else? Hmm. I think I decided I don't care what people think about how I dress, haha!
I love wearing mismatched Bohemian clothes to the local thrift store because I know I'll find kindred spirits there.

The pre-rain light this morning was strange. The trees have dead leaves (or no leaves) from autumn and the hurricane, but the stress of the storm also informed the plants that they'd just endured winter, and it was time to put out new growth. So they did.
Please don't look at the mess. We are not tidy people.
Speaking of not tidy ... after the hurricane somebody decided the house down the road was not habitable anymore, and they tore it down.
Can you tell I haven't posted in a while? I'm rambling on and on. I'll end with something pretty and yummy, a pastry Adam made for me a few days ago.

Have a happy weekend!

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Oh No! Not Punkin and Ethel. That's really too bad. I suppose it's the price they pay for their freedom to roam your property.
And the poor traumatized one. I hope she recovers although I doubt she'll ever trust another dog.
We've had some days of heavy rain and of course the roof is now leaking. If we get some dry Saturdays youngest son will no doubt come and see what can be done. Have a nice relaxing weekend.

happyone said...

You have been busy.
Sorry about the chickens.
The pastry that Adam made looks delicious.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry about your chickens.

I hope today will be a relaxing day for you after such a hectic week.

I'm going to Grief Share this morning.

We had a little rain yesterday from a quickly passing thunderstorm. More rain predicted for today and tomorrow, which we do need. It's been very dry here. It warmed up and humidity was thick the past couple of days, so that it felt like summer again. I am ready for chilly weather.

Adam's pastry looks so delicious!

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

Una said...

Oh, nooo. Not the chickens. Sorry to hear the news.

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, dear. I am especially sad about your chickens because of having read Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm twice in two days to the grandsons here, and that book makes me want so much to have chickens again! But the heartaches of farming...

That light is truly very strange -- I'm glad you could catch it in those photos.

I'll be sending some $ for your sweet story :-)

Retired Knitter said...

Hello, just discovered your blog by linking in from Great Balls of Wool. I love blogs where folks share a little bit about their lives and sharing back and forth between blogs becomes the norm! Sorry about the chickens.