Sunday, November 18, 2018

Time for a Catch-Up

Hi, all. I seem to be as spotty and disorganized in my blogging these days as I am in other parts of life! 'Tis the busy season. Tonight is our Community Thanksgiving Service -- ecumenical, crowded, beautiful, liturgical, warm and welcoming, musical. I'll be in the musical part.

Adam is nearly finished installing our new heating/AC system.
 The machine above is the compressor, which is outside. It's mounted on sturdy braces well above the flooding line.

This (below) is the inside unit - there are three of them, so we can zone the house. We operate them with little remotes that have little cradles on the wall.
The lines that run from the inside units to the compressor were all over the side yard as Adam organized them for hooking up.
 

That sad space heater above just died the other day. It's served us well for over 25 years. The house is chillier, and I'm ready for Adam to get our new heating cranked up tomorrow.

I've spent lots of time shipping out copies of "The Thanksgiving Mice." It's sold so well, much better than "Punkin and the Littlest Mouse." I've sold 40 copies so far.
Adam says the more books you have, the better they sell. I'm already working on my next one.

We took our church's OCC shoeboxes to the drop off location across the river. We had 34 boxes, our usual amount.
 The ferry was running on a reduced schedule, so we stayed over there and ate Mexican for lunch.

 

I'm curing gourds this winter outside. A good video I watched said to let them cure in the weather and grow their normal mold. Isn't it cool-looking?
A rosemary plant a friend gave me -- it was not feeling well -- is now recovered and replanted in the garden.
 Adam does the cooking now in our family, but this week I had a yearning to make a pot of spaghetti sauce. I used some of the last of our fresh herbs. Soon they'll be frozen and gone.
 I tidied up that scarf that I thought was so messy. It actually turned out really interesting. I cut the warp yarns that I'd left unwoven, and tied them up in knots, and it gave lovely texture to the scarf.
And I wove that autumn one. Then I pulled out this funny lap loom I bought for $5 at the thrift store, and gave it a try. It worked!
 That rigid heddle (the rectangular piece with all the slits in it) is tricky to handle, but otherwise it worked.

I bought a magazine about using herbs. I love herbs.
 

I like that quote.

My "teenager" hens are now laying. Their eggs are darker brown than my silkie hens', and rounder. 
This will be an evening of Thanksgiving in our community. I'm thankful for my life, for my husband, for the closeness of God in the middle of life's griefs, which are many. I don't tell you my griefs, and I know you don't tell me yours, here on our blogs. But we know they're there. May you find comfort and joy in spite of them, and the strength to keep moving forward. Love to you from our little farm!

4 comments:

Kezzie said...

Ooh, so much productivity!!! How lovely! Well done on your book sales and I love the look of that scarf! I am super into herbs now so I understand your excitement! They make everything taste amazing!!!!
Whatever your troubles are, I hope that they work out, it is good to share them so we can pray for one another. Sending you many best wishes!!!xx

Granny Marigold said...

It will be so nice to have the new heating system going in time for the cold weather ahead.
It's amazing that you still had Basil growing. And your Rosemary too. The latter doesn't always come through our winters. Whether it's the cold or the excessive dampness.

Have a blessed and peace-filled Thanksgiving.

happyone said...

That new system should keep you toasty warm.
Great to hear that your book sales are going so well.

Lisa Richards said...

Glad you're getting some dependable heat/AC! I'm terrible at following through on all of the things I'm interested in. But it's fun to try! Herbs have been one of those things. Mexican food sounds good. I might have to have some for lunch! Cool mold! :)