Friday, November 23, 2018

Books and Ballet

I'm wondering if 2019 should be the year of the books, for me. I want a return to books ... not that I ever left them exactly. But Facebook (yeah, that other not-very-bookish-"book") is not only eating away at my time, it's corroding my peace of mind. I did remove nearly all of the politics in my news feed. But what's so disturbing now is the steady diet of tragic, violent news stories from everywhere. Young mother shot and killed in a parking lot somewhere. Young man killed by horrible one-pill overdose one night somewhere. And on and on. Am I obliged to know all the sorrows of the world and feel for all of it?

That sounds callous, but I don't think any of us was designed to carry all that sorrow at once. On Wednesday, I had to clear my mind of all I was reading on Facebook and snap the computer closed.

I'd like to turn to books. I'm reading about five right now, dipping in and out of them. A Trollope novel I'm not very engaged with. Still Touring Through Europe a bit with Mrs. Shackleton. Knock on a Star has been sitting on my reading table a long time too. Oh, and The Strangers Gaze also. Add to those, two more. I started this little gem yesterday:
It's a children's book written in the 1800s. See Caldecott, the illustrator? Yes, that's the Caldecott, for whom the award it named.
I also found this book today:
My mother loves this book and recommends or lends it to many young mothers she knows. I figured it was time I read it too. I bought each of these books for $1 at the thrift store. 

And ballet, did I say? Hmm. A friend (who is 47) mentioned lately that she's taking up ballet as a beginner, and I thought, "What a brave and wise decision!" Another friend (who's older than I) then mentioned that she watches Ann Smith each morning. Smith is an elderly ballet dancer and instructor who has videos on Amazon Prime. (She also has some on Youtube, but not as nice.) Image result for ann smith ballet
Her videos on Prime are so lovely -- Chopin and Beethoven as background music, and she teaches in a large, old room with tall windows. It's so calming. I like it much, much more than yoga, which always hurt my knees and feet. This is all standing, and she explains it well. Gentle, elegant movements. Solid work on the torso and core. Emphasis on breathing. I think I may be able to stick with this.

So I'm going to snap this laptop closed now, and open Bringing Up Bebe, and see what I think. Have a lovely evening, all!


8 comments:

happyone said...

We don't have TV so I don't even watch the news and I'm not on FB.
I've always got a book or two or three going.

Henny Penny said...

I tried Facebook once and hated everything about it. So I got out very quickly! :) I need to read more. I've been on the same book for months now. I simply can't sit still long enough to read.

Granny Marigold said...

The tragedies on the news really get to me too. Also we have our own issues, at least one of which is very serious. The dark cloud wants to envelop me at times.

We went to the library late this afternoon where I picked up books I had requested, more that I hadn't, and even a Christmas movie.
I'm very curious as to exactly how the French raise their bebes!!

Elaine (Retired Knitter) said...

I totally agree with every word of this post. Getting off of social networks or at least spending less time there seems to be the key. I will have to look at the Anne Smith Fitness for Seniors. Sounds intriguing.

M.K. said...

Hi, Elaine. Thanks for visiting. I've been doing it two days now, and I love it. I think (besides swimming) it's the only exercise I've ever done (in 55 yrs) that I enjoy and look forward to. It's not hard, but it does gently work the muscles, and the music and graceful movement, and her pretty purple dress she wears, all make it calming and beautiful. I hope you find it and enjoy it!

Lisa Richards said...

Yep. I'm with you on the Facebook thing. I agree we aren't designed to handle all of the world's griefs. We all have enough to bear in our own spheres of family and friends. I've thought of exercising to some ballet videos. When I get internet maybe I'll give it a shot. I really need to do some exercising!! I'm doing TONS of reading right now, and loving it. I do check Facebook just long enough to catch things my kids have posted. Usually photos now and then. They avoid it as well, but they know I like to see the occasional post so I know they're okay, lol.

Una said...

I'm currently editing a copy of Charles Kingsley's "The Water Babies" for a book charity that I volunteer for. What an eye-opener. The unexpurgated edition is not the cute children's book I remember reading many decades ago.

M.K. said...

That's fascinating, Una! Kind of like those real Grimm's fairy tales -- not for the faint of heart.