Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving Morning

On Thanksgiving Day, Adam and I share a large meal with our church family and anyone else who wants to come. Adam left early to take the turkey out of the church refrigerator. I'm sure he's knee deep in gravy and rolls by now. I set up the long table yesterday.

None of our children are here for Thanksgiving this year, so the house this morning is quiet, just me, Beau, and a Pandora station.
Beau is in charge.
This year I'm making a delicious apple pie. Here's the recipe:
Mississippi friends, this is from the Jackson Junior League cookbook, Southern Sideboards.
I used 3 Granny Smiths and 3 Honey Crisps.
 I made the crusts yesterday. I'm not a fancy cook; this is about as fancy as I get!

 It did turn out prettier than other pies I've made.
 This pie is different because after it's done, you spread a mix of butter/brown sugar ... well, you can check the recipe ... on top. It bubbles and gets crusty later.
 Normally I'd use pecans, but Adam is now allergic to them. (So, so sad!!!) So I used a blend of almonds and walnuts (not too many). We'll see.

I'm also making my usual sweet potato casserole, my mother's recipe:
We'll have about 22 or so eaters today around that table, and it will be delightful. Right now we have two folks in our church family who are in the hospital in New Bern, and their loved ones are, I'm sure, struggling with Thanksgiving today. Many of us are. It's an old saying, but we must focus on the good, on God's blessings and the joyful things in our lives, and not let the dark overtake us. But that's hard, especially when the dark is coming from people we love, which it often is. This is true of many friends I know right now. How do you put a loved one in the back of your mind and forget about that grief for today, and turn your mind to joy? Doesn't it feel like turning you back on that person? I struggle with that.

Well, not to end on a down note, I hope you all have lots of pie!! I nearly made a cranberry pie, which I LOVE, but I remembered that often nobody loves it but me, and I don't want a whole cranberry pie sitting around the house afterward. Someone else is making delicious pumpkin pies, and for Adam's sake I could not make his very favorite: pecan pie. (So, SO sad!!!) So I made his favorite apple, and I hope that compensates. There are usually compensations for losses on Thanksgiving, if we think about it. Love to you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

True Message! Happy Thanksgiving

Granny Marigold said...

That's a good question... how to put feelings of sadness aside and emphasize the positives at any time let alone special times, like Thanksgiving, or Christmas. For the sake of others we have to do just that.
Your Harvest apple pie looks wonderful. I must remember to make that brown sugar topping next time I do a 2 crust pie.

Henny Penny said...

Your apple pie looks delicious and is really pretty too. I've never made such a pretty pie. and I can't make pie crusts. :) Eating Thanksgiving dinner at that long table filled with friends sounds really special. Hope you all enjoyed the day.