Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Good Girl, Trixie!

Today was a painting day since I was home. This morning I turned on a pleasant watercoloring video with soft background music, pulled out my paints, and began. Before I share Trixie's adventure, I'll show you what I painted.



These were fun to do. But the house was quiet -- I was quiet. The heater was humming and the studio was warm. And when a room is quiet and warm, little mice think nobody is there. I began to hear a faint scratching, and then a distinct nibbling. 

I shuffled things around, invited the dogs to come in. (They declined.) Adam put a new poison block in the trap behind the furniture. The noises went away and in the afternoon I continued to paint.

I didn't hear Trixie come in, but as I was listening to the soft music (for about the fourth time) and dabbling in paint, I heard a POUNCE! I jumped, turned, and squealed a bit. Trixie dashed from the room and left behind ... a mouse.

He was wiggling and curled up, but clearly alive, perhaps just stunned. I did what any sensible woman would do --

"Adam!!!!" There's a mouse!!! And he's ... wiggling!!!"

I handed Adam three well-used watercolor paper towels. He scooped the poor creature up and took him I-don't-know-where. Then I found Trixie in the dining room and gave her lots of good-girls and you're-so-braves. At last! I have a mouser!

16 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Nice cards! But it does take some of the fun out of it when mice are lurking about. Go, Trixie! :)

happyone said...

Your paintings are very pretty.
Good for Trixie!!

Henny Penny said...

Your watercolor paintings are very pretty. You are so funny. I had to scroll down and find a picture of Trixie. She is a cutie pie. Glad you are rid of the mouse, but I do feel bad for them. Little mice are so cute. Like in your little books. :)

Debbie Harris said...

Well look at Trixie! 🐾
Your day sounded so peaceful and calming, and those paintings are just lovely. The blue is my favorite. :)

Granny Marigold said...

I like all 4 of the paintings you did. So delicate looking.

If you have mice it's nice to have a "mouser" in the house.

LeroyLime said...

your petals and leaves are absolutely fantastic!! and the mouse pouncing...perfect entry for your next book!

M.K. said...

I seem to have a resident mouse in my studio nearly all the time. Just one :) We're hunting the opening, to keep them out. Yes ... it did disturb the peaceful setting a little!!

M.K. said...

Thank you, Karen.

M.K. said...

It is a difficulty for me, Henny -- the difference between the mice in sweet little books and the mice that scare you underfoot! It was very sad, but I can't stand the sound of them nibbling in the corner.

M.K. said...

Thank you, Debbie!

M.K. said...

Yes, I agree. I was surprised to find out that Trixie has that skill!

M.K. said...

Yes ... that could be a plot device, haha! Thanks, Dawn.

Una said...

I love those cards, especially the pink one. Our cat used to catch mice in the garden and bring them in to the house as a gift. I think all the screaming finally got through to her and she doesn't do it any more, thankfully.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your watercolors are oh so lovely.

Good girl Trixie bringing Momma a mouse! Good dear husband Adam for disposing of it. ;-)

Enjoy your day/week ~ FlowerLady

M.K. said...

THank you, FL! She is a sweet pup.

M.K. said...

Haha - they can learn if you yell enough!