Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Happy Birthday Set

A friend's post on facebook inspired me to try a new card. The first one was so fun that three more followed.



Speaking of birthdays, a friend had one this week. At prayer shawl this morning we celebrated her, and I made a cake. Yes, I did. Miracles do still occur!
Lemon poppyseed

It was a large bundt cake with four eggs and a cup of sour cream. Delectable. Rather than a sugar glaze that purports to be lemon but is really just sugar and sits atop like a helmet, I wanted a tart lemon glaze that wicks down into the cake. The glaze was 1/2 squeezed lemon juice and 1/2 sugar, warmed just until dissolved and drizzled into the holes I poked in the top of the cake.
To offset this decadence, Adam and I had a salad last night.
 We staved off snackiness with mac/cheese and fried okra, however.
Our lime tree is blooming after losing most of its leaves.
 And an ornamental cherry (or plum??) is at its fabulous stage.



 The crocheted shawl is done and delivered. A second one is now underway.
Really, life is rather delightful right now because our church is such a happy place. They are a bunch of sweet people and there is no snarky conflict. We are so thankful. Adam's philosophy of church work has been quiet, steady perseverance. Waiting, which is what God usually asks us to do. I pray it continues. As far as my sorrows (which we all have) I am learning slowly to keep them wrapped tightly in prayer. It softens their painful, sharp edges and reminds me to trust them to the Lord, who designs and implements my future, where those sorrows will have their end.

Wherever you are, I hope spring has arrived and you're surrounded with bird song, blossoms against blue skies, and growing things. 

6 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

So many pretty things....I like the Birthday cards, esp. the cupcake ones. And the cake looks wonderful (recipe?) and the cherry tree full of delightful blossoms is almost too much.

Lisa Richards said...

The cards are so pretty, and I LOVE lemon poppy seed anything! Yes, it's good to know that painful times will come to an end eventually. To "see" through spiritual eyes as though looking back from that perspective helps. I'm trying to achieve that while learning more trust in the Lord! Life is a stretching experience!

happyone said...

It is such a blessing to be a member of a happy church.
Ours is one too.

Henny Penny said...

MK, you write beautifully, and you are so talented! I love the birthday cards. Is there anything that you can not do?? :) Reading your posts makes wish that my vocabulary was more than that of a third grader. You are an artist, a writer, a farmer, a teacher, a seamstress, a weaver, knitter, and all that goes along with that, a gardener, and now a baker! and I've probably left out several things. :) Oops, a candle maker too. Love, Henny

Una said...

Lovely happy photos, especially the blossom which is looking good here as well. I think today might be a salad day for me too, after yesterday's over indulgence on apple cake.

GretchenJoanna said...

Those cards are WONDERFUL!

And the cake sounds like one of my favorites for tea parties, also a lemon-sour cream affair. The best! Bravo, Mary Kathryn!