Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Advent 17

The boy Jesus in the temple
 A dear friend invited me to attend the annual Messiah concert in New Bern at Centenary Methodist Church. I'd never been in their sanctuary before - what stunning windows! Above is the west window, with the afternoon sun coming in.
Below is the east window. During a Sunday morning service I imagine it would be brilliant with light.
 The west window again:
 The sanctuary, before the choir and orchestra entered:
 A church member advised me to go find their chapel and see the stained glass in there as well, so I did. I entered a room that took my breath away with its warm golden walls and sense of worship.


The afternoon performance is actually a dress rehearsal, which was quite fun -- listening to the conductor's corrections and commendations. It was another music-filled day, and now (on Tuesday) I'm ready to stay home and paint quietly.

8 comments:

Kathie said...

I adore these stained glass windows! Incredibly beautiful :)

Sandi said...

So beautiful!

GretchenJoanna said...

What a soul-nourishing visit!

Granny Marigold said...

I love stained glass windows. They are so beautiful and add to the reverence one feels on entering the sanctuary.

Kezzie said...

Ooh, the stained glass is gorgeous!!! What did the orchestra play?x

happyone said...

What beautiful stained glass windows.

Lisa Richards said...

Beautiful church and windows! Yes, it sounds like fun to watch a rehearsal. Happy painting!

M.K. said...

Kezzie - they were the accompaniment to the Messiah (the Christmas section of it). There was: a harpsichord, two violas, 8 violins, 2 oboes, 2 cellos, a bass, and two trumpets. One of the trumpets doubled up with a French horn :)