Monday, December 30, 2019

The Morning the Relatives Left

Dear Gramm and Anna,

I'm sorry I missed saying good-bye to you this morning, and baby Isaac. I'd planned to wake early enough to see you before your 6:00 flight. I must've been sleeping soundly. Thank you for leaving the guest room so clean!

I did wake though, at 4:57 to Trixie barking really loudly -- "woof!woof!woof!" She was demanding help. I got out of bed, realized I'd missed your departure and I was alone in the house, and went to find the dog who had to alarm-bark at such an hour. She wasn't in the living room or dining room or kitchen, or on the back porch. I decided Daddy had put her outside already before driving you to the airport, but wondered why her bark sounded so loud in my sleep.

I walked back through the quiet, dark house. You were gone. The baby was gone. I felt sad. The guest room door was open, so I stepped in. "The baby is gone," I whispered to myself, and held my hands to my heart. I missed him so much already. I stepped further into the room and turned to look at his little crib.

There was Trixie, in the porta-crib. Sitting there, quivering, looking at me as if to say, "Mama, I can't get outa here!"

Actually, that dog has springs in her legs like Tigger and can jump over a cattle fence from a standing position, so I'm sure that porta-crib was no prison for her. She wanted to be in there. She was fascinated, captivated by the baby the whole week you were here, always wanting to know where he was, paw-punching Daddy every time he woke and cried. At last, after you left, she had a chance to go in your room and conduct a thorough baby investigation and smell all the baby smells. 

I suppose she'll want a porta-crib for her puppies if she ever has a litter. But for now, I wanted you to know how much your sweet, perfect, delightful child is loved and missed here in our home, even by the dogs.

Love,
Nana

5 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I can't bear to let family leave without saying goodbye. I'd have an alarm set for an hour before they were supposed to leave the house and I'd probably wake up an hour earlier than the alarm. But then, I'm tightly wound, lol. Sorry for your empty house. Glad you had a good visit! :)

Granny Marigold said...

I can feel your sadness in your letter to Gramm and Anna. I'm sorry you weren't able to see them before they left and give little Isaac one last kiss. Poor Trixie, she's sad too.

Henny Penny said...

Aw, I'm sorry you missed saying goodbye. You've brought tears to my eyes. Christmas is such a fun time but can sure feel lonely when all the family leaves. Just think, if we can get through January and February...we can look forward to warm days and growing tomatoes. :)

M.K. said...

Yes!! I can't wait!!

GretchenJoanna said...

How sweet!