Thursday, December 26, 2019

Christmas Day

 Christmas Day was very fun! The weather has been absolutely gorgeous -- perfect Southern Christmas weather: sunny, nearly 70 degrees. We took baby Isaac outside.
He sported his Santa Suit all day long. Adam bought this for him after seeing one at the farmer's market.
 We opened presents, lounged around and nibbled a little, eating our big Christmas dinner at 2:00. Adam decided to make my mother's Sunday roast dinner: roast beef/gravy cooked with potatoes and carrots, asparagus, yeast rolls, and cole slaw - and he added stuffing too. I was in charge of cole slaw and was quite sad when we were out of mayonnaise and Adam informed me that ALL the stores had closed at noon. Then he said, "That's okay. I'll make you some mayonnaise." Which he did, and all was well. He'd made 2 batches of chocolate truffles, plus leftover cookies of various types, so we enjoyed all of that for the afternoon. Isaac was fed by a very cute elf.

 My amaryllis is blooming now.
 As Adam prepared dinner I set the table. I decided to dig out my wedding china and crystal and set a pretty table as the afternoon light filtered in from the west windows.
 Afterward, Julia and Anna crashed on the living room couches. 
Gramm decided to get the burn pile going in the pasture and spent the rest of the day (and evening) fiddling with fire, which is fun. Adam and I took Isaac outside to watch that for a little while. He loves being outside and calms right down when he's out there.
I got to chat with Kara and Philip, who are spending Christmas in Peoria with her folks, and I enjoyed talking with my mother, who is doing so much better after all her dealings with cancer this fall. I think she's on the mend at last!
Adam and I did dishes, and a silly movie was enjoyed in the living room while I played the latest "Myst" computer game ("Obduction") on my laptop. I haven't played one of those in many years.
Merry Christmas to all of you!
As I age, I realize more how important it is to embrace the Christmas that fills one's heart with comfort and hope: the infant Savior. All the Santa and presents and traveling and feasting in the world only leave a hollow place; it's fun, but it does not scrub away the sorrows of life. Somehow knowing that God Himself came to this harrowing world stripped naked, chased and threatened, a refugee, the lowest human -- yet in Him was the key to heaven for me. That is hope. Nothing in His poor life could extinguish the divine power of saving us. He overcame. He says, "I came that you might have life, and have it more abundantly." That is hope. Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Sounds like a good Christmas! I love the photo of the elf feeding Santa. I love that your mom is doing better and your thoughts on the meaning of Christmas. Amen! I'm hoping to figure out how to put photos on my blog with this new Chromebook gadget. Happy New Year!

Kathie said...

Merry CHRISTmas! Such a sweet little boy :) and so much food- what an amazing hubs you have.

Granny Marigold said...

How nice that you made the effort to get your best china out and set a pretty table for your family. Christmas blessings, my friend. G.M.

GretchenJoanna said...

Merry Christmas, Mary Kathryn! Your table is lovely, and your family more so!

M.K. said...

I hope you get your blog photos situation sorted out, Lisa. I know that's been a trial for you! Happy New Year to you and yours!

M.K. said...

He is amazing, Kathie! He loves to cook for others and is generally looking for ways to serve others, esp. family. He's a blessing.

M.K. said...

GM, afterward, I decided I'd lived with my find china being boxed and on the front porch for long enough! I got rid of some kitchen dry goods that were taking up space, and moved my china indoors :) It's now on the top shelf in my country kitchen.

M.K. said...

Thank you, dear friend! I need to go catch up on your blog now! Merry Christmas to you and your lovely, big, loving family. I've enjoyed seeing the photos of all of you!