Tuesday, December 31, 2019

More Beauty and Slowness in My Life

On Sunday morning we gave our microwave to our college-age daughter before she left on her long trip that will take her back to school. When she voiced a desire for a microwave in her dorm room, I said, "I'll give you mine, and I'll go buy another one." 

The microwave left in her car, but we didn't go buy a new one on Sunday. Adam looked at our local WalMart, but they only had large ones; we need the small size. Here's a photo from 2 years ago when we redid the kitchen:
It was a shelf just made for that microwave.

Anyway ... now it's Tuesday and we still don't have a new microwave. We were thinking of driving to Morehead to look for one there, among other errands. 

I asked Adam, "What do you use the microwave for?"
"Melting butter," he answered.
I use it for heating my chai in the morning. I never, ever make microwave popcorn; I make it on the stove. I began to wonder (you knew this was coming) ... do we really need a microwave?

The answer: no

I also wondered ... do I really want a microwave?

A microwave adds speed. I don't need to add speed to my life. Doing things fast and efficiently has been the theme of my life (and often its bane). I always, always need to slow down. Why would I want a machine in my life that helps me speed up?

We agreed to forego a microwave, at least for now. I'm heating up spiced cider on the stovetop for my mid-morning beverage.
I heat my chai in that same little pan. It's a leisurely, pleasant morning habit. It's soothingly fiddly, steams, and makes the house smell good. Plus, I'm not convinced the microwave fit well with my kitchen vibe. Here's what we did with the shelf:
I'm wondering if any of you live without a microwave? Or if you have one, would you like to get rid of it?

13 comments:

Sandi said...

I could. I have. I remember the old days. 🙂

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I have one, I rarely use it, if I could get rid of it, I would put another oven in it’s place. I could really use a double oven.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm not ready to give mine up just yet. I use it every day for something or other, but good for you. You gained a shelf!

GretchenJoanna said...

I use mine many times a day to heat up tea that I have let get cold. And for leftovers every day. Mine is built-in now; when I had a larger one on the counter I was always annoyed at how much space it took there!

I predict you will like doing without.

melissa said...

We haven't had one in years, and come to find out,the only one who regularly used it was my husband to reheat cups of coffee. I use the space for my tea stuff...French press, pour over carafe, etc. Yes, let's slow down this yer.

M.K. said...

I agree, BB -- I had a double oven once, and it was much more useful than a microwave!

M.K. said...

Ones that sit on the counter do take up so much space!

M.K. said...

I'm trying, Melissa! :) Every time I try to calm, slow, peace ... some new little catastrophe happens. Why is that???

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I have a large, red one which sits in the middle open shelf space in my hutch. We bought it many years ago, the last time I used it I was heating up a clay pack several times a day for my dear husband to put on his neck his last 4 months here on this planet. That was over 7 years ago now. I was going to use the clay pack myself recently, but it was so old and hard, I threw it away along with the smaller one we had also. Right now, I use it for storage, tortillas, rice, quinoa, etc. I really should get rid of it, but keep procrastinating, and that probably is due to the fact that my dear husband bought it. ;-) In my heart, I know it's ok to get rid of it.

I'm not crazy about eating nuked food, used it a few times in the beginning, but really I'm old-fashioned and like to cook things on the stove top.

You put your shelf to good use and it looks nice and homey.

Happy 2020 to you and Adam ~ FlowerLady

M.K. said...

It does make for good storage too! That's a sweet story, FL. Love you.

Lisa Richards said...

I've gone without for short periods. The only thing I miss is being able to heat up leftovers without dirtying up a pot. Most other things I can do without it. I do like microwave popcorn. I like what you have on the shelf instead. Like you said, it goes better with your kitchen vibe! :)

M.K. said...

I did!! We've been asking ourselves still if we are okay without one. So far, so good.

M.K. said...

Thanks :) I agree.