Friday, January 10, 2020

A Knitting Conundrum ... and Books to Read

Unfinished knitting projects are bad enough, but when one has two hands (which most of us do) and one knits something for one hand, and then waits a month or so ... well, one forgets what one did. I knitted one fingerless glove.
It's not yet been sewn up to transform it into a glove.

I did some sort of pattern from the bottom up: ribbing, stockinette stitch, then some mysterious pattern that must've made sense at the time, then more stockinette, finishing with a crocheted picot.

Now it's January, and I decided I'd better finish the second one. Except I had no idea what I'd done in that middle section, the mysterious part! I hunted through my amazing book of 750 knitting patterns, to no avail. I looked a second, then a third, time. I couldn't find anything that resembled it. At last I chose the most likely pattern match and launched in to the second glove.

I was wrong. Close ... but "no cigar," as they say. I like this pattern better. Should I pull the other one out (soon! while I can still remember what I'm doing?)

Also, I dug around in my studio last night for reading material. I finished Cheaper By the Dozen at last, and needed something new. I found a stack of books I must've bought myself last Christmas, or who knows when? Now I will go through them one by one.
I'm starting with The Hare with Amber Eyes, set in Japan (at least at first). It's non-fiction and was reasonably interesting last night when I began it. 
Resistance Fighter and The House Near Paris are both WWII France, although the second one was printed overseas, and the cover text is very badly done. Coasting is a sailing book. I've promised myself if I find any of them boring I'm free to give them to the thrift store. Actually our thrift store currently has a sign that says it's not accepting any more books! There are a few "Tiny Libraries" in Oriental, and I suppose I could slip them in there with no one noticing.

Last, some advice about lemongrass. I bought a few stalks at the local Asian market store.
I put them in a glass. From doing this before, I hoped they might sprout roots, and I could later pot them and anticipate mighty lemongrass plants this summer.
The roots have begun! There are quite a few stalks in the glass, so we should have massive amounts of lemongrass this year. I've been snipping off bits of it and adding it to my black tea.

5 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Your lemongrass is inspiring!! Maybe I could do that...

Granny Marigold said...

I like your unique set of fingerless gloves. There truly is no other pair just like it.
Your mention of lemon grass reminded me that I left my thriving plant out in the weather and I doubt it's frost resistant. If not then it is frozen.

Retired Knitter said...

I say leave your gloves the way they are. It is close enough and no one will notice AND Like the idea that they are fraturnal twins rather than identical twins. The yarn is a nice color.

I can't remember when I read out of a real book. I kind of miss that. Most of my books are in my Kindle - no storage problems, no discard problems and cheaper. But I have about 20 books that are the paper and glue kind and I should pull them out.

Londa said...

I can’t tell what pattern you did on the first fingerless glove, but I really like the second pattern. If it were me, I’d pull out the first one and remake it like the second.😊

annie said...

I read, mostly Amish fiction and back it goes to the library if I don't like it. Sometimes I read murder mysteries. My friend has billions it seems. In her former unretired life she was a librarian. So there is a constant swell with her. Tbe current one is called Murder with Cherry Tarts. I also like to read some how tos or craft books. People know I love books, thet are always giving me some, I got over 20 at Christmas. I pass them on with no regrets..
If it were me,I'd leave the gloves alone, only you will notice and then I'd make a new pair that match.