Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Puttin' On the Brakes!

I'm sure you readers understand -- we all feel this way in early January: Christmas frenzy is over, and we're ready for a Long Winter's Nap. Well, I am anyway. I'm well past 55 years old and not prone to leap up and do all I used to do. I was a true slug today. 
* I edited only part of a chapter in my book.
* I painted half of a picture for another book.
* I took a bath.
* I tagged along with Adam to the grocery store.
* I fed my chickens. Does that count?
* Oh, I did some laundry.

See? Some of you are going to work every day. Yikes. I can't imagine doing that again! 

Here are a few photos from the week. Adam is working hard at his new Youtube channel, "Dogs, Diets, and Recipes." He's learning the techy details of making those videos that look so easy when you watch them! He's cooking healthy foods, and more importantly, we're not cheating and snacking.
Last night we had a plate of veggies: grilled broccoli and cauliflower,
fried okra and squash, dressing, and half-mashed potatoes.
Approx. 480 calories

Tonight we had a "meat and two": a lean 3.5 oz. of ribeye,
and oven-roasted broccoli and potatoes: approx. 530 calories.

 I'm painting cards, but slowly, because I don't return to the farmer's market until March. No hurry, thankfully.

I'm truly torn about whether to feel guilty or pleased with myself for resting so much. I haven't launched back into my weekly duty schedule of music and meetings. Perhaps I should enjoy this brief quiet time while I have it. It's so tempting to become a hermit and stay home forever.

Next week I will be in West Virginia visiting my mother again. She is doing so much better. We have some activities and visits planned. Thanks so much for reading, friends! 

9 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Yummy! If you're expecting to return to a more hectic schedule, I'd definitely enjoy the slower pace while you can! I'm kind of a hermit. I went out for lunch with my old co-workers today and one of them is going to encourage me to show up at the senior citizen center for bingo on Wednesdays! Boy, am I old or what? But, it might actually be fun and it's close by. :) But, yeah, I do too much hermiting.

annie said...

Hello. I was able to subscribe to his you tube channel this time :)
I do not blame you for resting, we have all been sick here since after Christmas. We need to rest too! I hope everything goes well for all your endeavours, and that both of you are truly blessed.

GretchenJoanna said...

I don’t think you are the type to rest if you don’t need rest. And you need to store up strength against the stress of traveling. XO

Granny Marigold said...

I'd say you had a fairly productive day! Feeding the chickens definitely counts.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Looking at the delicious food Adam has prepared makes me hungry. Your artwork makes me want to do something creative. I'm working in my bedroom, reorganizing yarn storage, and packing up more Christmas to take out to the workshop. I have to take breaks, will be 71 in a couple of months and even though my mind has lots of ideas to do, my body says take it easy and do what you can.

Happy creating and living your sweet life with Adam and critters. Have a good time with your Mom. Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Retired Knitter said...

Beautiful water color pictures.

Michelle said...

Oh yay; I can comment here because the window is "pop-up" instead of embedded! As a vegetarian your first meal looks PARTICULARLY delicious; as a wife whose husband rarely cooks, I'm a wee bit jealous. Your watercolors are BEAUTIFUL; I haven't worked in that medium in DECADES....

Granny Marigold said...

I think my comment didn't go through so I'll try again.
Like Michelle I don't usually eat meat so that first meal looks wonderful but I do wonder what okra tastes like!!
And I think feeding your chickens counts as a job done.

magsmcc said...

I'm here and catching up. Let's drink chai tea and look out at your homestead from the warmth within! Listening to the rhythm your body needs is very important, but some days very hard. Listen to that beat and follow it with unashamed joy! I've lost the knack somewhat. I really had it sorted following the operation back in the summer, but all my healthy living, physical, spiritual and emotional has been worn away by work! I'm so encouraged, and inspired, to read of your healthy hibernation. Be Mole! I'm off to make chai tea and read in my hole x