Thursday, October 25, 2007

Correction:

Parent-teacher meetings tomorrow will be from 1-4, and then from 5:30 to 8 (or so). I bet middle school parents will come, but I think we will have few high school parents. These meetings are very different from last year: 1) We will all be in the gym together, seated at tables. That way, no parent can waylay a teacher and bash him up in private. It's hard to light into someone, in public. 2) Meetings are on a first come/first served basis. No appointments. Last year, I was required to call parents of each failing student, to ask for a conference. This year, the initiative is on them, as it should be.

It also helps that it will be raining. That may discourage some. It's not that I don't want to talk with parents, but I'd prefer that they email me first, if they have a question. With reasonable parents, I've found that almost all difficulties can be handled via email or telephone. Usually, only the high-strung, over-reactive parents whose children can push their buttons, need to come lose control in front of a near-stranger. Sorry to rant, but I had a situation like that (almost like that) today, between 1st and 2nd block. What kind of parent comes to talk to you between classes, when you have 5 students around your desk? Ah well. A parent who thinks his child's situation is more important than those of your other students.

The good news is that I plan to get lots of grading done in the gym tomorrow, as I sit next to my hubby. And that means I don't have to work frantically tonight. So, we will probably watch a movie, eat popcorn, and relax in the den.

Hope you all have a nice evening too!

(And, during the 3 hours of shortened school tomorrow, I only need to sit in my comfy chair and listen to students recite their poetry. Now, that's the part of being an English teacher that I love!)

No comments: