Thursday, July 9, 2009

I was reminded...

Of this beautiful psalm:

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night.
The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.
The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth
and forever.


We all often cry out for help, sometimes into the thin air.
Does anyone hear us?
Christians know that God is the one, and often the ONLY one, who can help.
How can the writer say that God doesn't allow our feet to slip?
It certainly FEELS like I'm slipping, slipping away.
But He is holding me all the while. He's not distracted, not absent, not negligent.
If I need proof of that, I need only see how faithful He's been to His people for centuries. Certainly He can manage just me.

How comforting it is to know He keeps my soul.

I told Peter just this week that 30 years ago, I was a girl of 16. Young, with all of life before me.

And I added that, 30 years from now, I'll be 76. I know from my past that those 30 years will pass in a blink. Life is a flash, a moment, over so quickly.

But God keeps my soul. My soul that is immune to death, that will pass smoothly from this life into a longer one, without even a blip of panic or intermission. He keeps my soul.

So, all that going out? Coming in? He will ease my way forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this Psalm. It is a comfort to me. Although I don't comment often, I read your blog faithfully. Our circumstances are different than yours, but my struggles are very similar. Thanks for sharing!

~karen from WI (Mitford farmmom)

Tammy said...

Amen Cousin...... I've read this Psalm several times recently and it's so comforting, So wonderful to know that know matter what is happening - He is steadfast to provide.