Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Handwarmers

Since we're on Fall Break, I'm waxing creative -- I'm on a crocheting kick. Knitting and I have never gotten along well. However, crocheting and I are steady friends.

I saw these at the Renaissance Festival; you may call them handwarmers, or wristwarmers, or fingerless gloves. They're easy to make,and very useful. On the first pair, I used some VERY old wool yarn I've had for 25 years. I bought it at an outdoors folk arts fair on the backside of Lookout Mtn. When I bought it, the yard was still wet from the dye, and was hanging on a line. I've used it, and pulled it out, and used it again. The yard is weak in multiple spots, but I love it anyway. I was into "earthy" colors back then.
After I finished mine, I started on a pair for Anna, using much-softer yarn I found at Salvation Army on Saturday. And, since I'm trying not to turn on the heat in the house yet, my own handwarmers came in handly while crocheting Anna's.
Here they are, finished: A simple tube (so you never have to worry about dropping a stitch at the end of a row - my biggest crocheting fault!), with openings for the thumbs. You may also wear them upside-down, allowing less coverage on the wrists, and more on the fingertips.
Of course, Julia wanted a pair as well. She liked the pink yarn I also found at Sally's. Hers are smaller.
Cute!
I may make myself another pair now, with softer yarn (that wool is itchy!) and more coverage on the knuckles.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

These look wonderful and I'm impressed! These would make great Christmas gifts..... :)
You are so talented MK! I'm getting ready to learn how to knit! Been wanting to learn forEVER. :)