Monday, January 15, 2018

A Gift from a Friend

A very sweet lady who lives in Massachusetts, whom I only worked with for one year, but with whom I'm clearly a kindred spirit, sent me an antique spinning wheel she no longer wanted.
I'm beside myself with joy. It's gorgeous. It's mostly intact and entire. It was made by Silas Barnum.

It's missing a footman, which is a stick that joins the treadle to the wheel and allows me to use my foot to spin the wheel. I tied on a piece of twine temporarily.
 

It also has a broken bobbin, which is more of an issue -- the bobbin is chipped, to be precise. A little chip is no big deal. You can see where the bobbin was repaired before.
See the repair at the top of the bobbin.
But these chips are bigger, and the drive band (like a belt on a machine) will slip off this bobbin, causing the wheel to be useless for spinning.
 


I have that white yarn tied on because it's missing a leather bearing on one end, that the bobbin assembly is attached to.
The leather bearing is the black shape around that orifice. It passes through the wooden maiden,
and you can see its end on the other side, with a small wooden pin through it to hold it in place.

On the other end of the bobbin assembly, this maiden should also have a leather bearing passing through it.
It's missing, so I passed yarn through to hold the metal bobbin up.
Adam will make me a leather bearing when I get back home.
The bobbin assembly was wrongly attached to the maiden, the large wheel was put on backwards, thus making the treadle's position not make sense.

The funny u-shaped piece with metal hooks is called the flyer.
 It spins around very fast when the wheel is going because it's attached to the whorl, which is the 3-disc piece on the left.
The bobbin is the wooden post running between the flyer arms.
It spins independently of the flyer.


Some of the little hooks are missing, but there are enough for it to work fine.
None of these issues is a deal-breaker, and we will get the wheel useful again. I want to learn how to do the simple wood-working to repair the bobbin, getting rid of all those chips.
The metal hook that attaches the footman to the treadle


On the left (above) you see the tension adjuster -- that handle actually runs through the mother-of-all (the entire bobbin/maidens assembly) like a screw, and turning it moves the mother-of-all forward or backward in relation to the wheel, tightening or loosening the drive band.
The drive band is another thing I need to make. It's a long piece of cotton yarn, joined smoothly in a long loop. It winds around the bobbin, around the wheel, around the whorl, and around the wheel again -- it's the belt.
This is the treadle, much used and so essential. It attaches to the legs with pins.
My dear son Peter, who drove from Boston to West Virginia, stopped by the home of my Massachusetts friend and brought the spinning wheel to me. Dearest Huggy (her grandmama nickname) -- thank you, thank you!! I hope you know how wonderful this is to me! I can't wait to get her (for she is certainly a she) home.

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I just know that you and your spinning wheel are going to have hours and hours of fun....after you get a few problems ironed out. How generous of your friend to pass it along to you.

Lisa Richards said...

How wonderful! Have fun with her!

Carol Blackburn said...

Good morning M.K......my, what a sweet gesture on her part. It is a wonderful old piece and certainly a great item to have on display if it gets to be too much to repair. Fortunately, you have no time constraints or deadlines and the repair process can go on as long as you are willing and able. I do hope all repairs come easily for you. It would surely bring you joy to see it working again under your power. I recently read that in the spirit realm there are always at least two experts in any field who are ready to help us with whatever our problem is and all we have to do is ask in prayer for their help and we will be inspired and directed to take the proper action to accomplish our task at hand. I pray you are inspired and guided every step of the way to restoring this beautiful item.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a beautiful, wonderful gift. I know that with your learning a new skill, simple woodworking, she will be working smoothly once again. Oh the stories she could tell. I just love her golden, warm patina.

Happy restoring, then spinning ~ FlowerLady

Pom Pom said...

That's fun! You lost me in the description of parts. I guess I will never be a spinner. If I spun AND knit, I would not have time to do anything else now would I? It's gorgeous! Go, MK!

Una said...

If anyone can fix this, you can. Looking forward to seeing your creations.

Kezzie said...

Hot utterly exciting! What a great episode! Reminds me of the episode of The Good Life where Margot is trying to persuade Jerry to buy her a spinning wheel and Barbara and Tom are trying to egg her on because they want to use it for their sheep wool. In fact, you two remind me of Tom and Barbara!