Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Cold Week

 Attempting to be more orderly in my work habits, I scoot the space heater into my studio each morning to warm the chilly room. At 9:00, I go to work -- writing, reading, researching, painting, maybe doing some yarn work. Always hot tea. It's pleasant there. Cold weather has made the house a little uncomfortable in the mornings, and the outdoors moreso. We bundle in sweaters and eat hot foods.

I finished the "rustic shimmer" shawl.

 

 

It will be for sale at the market ... whenever I get back to the market. I'm taking a break for at least January. It's no fun to stand shivering by the road on Saturday morning while all your customers are in their pajamas, sipping coffee in bed!

Adam has begun the arduous work of "cleaning up" my Punkin story -- he does all kinds of computer magic that I don't understand to get cleaner pages. The end result is that we'll have the story on a computer file for easier printing.

I'm lettering out my next story, "The Thanksgiving Mice," about a family of mice that have designs on the farm family's Thanksgiving dinner.
 Winter weather is perfect for a jigsaw puzzle. Max and Anne (brother and s-i-l) gave us this puzzle years ago. It's only 1000 pieces, and I don't think any are missing! It's called "Watchin' Barn Raising."
 A sweet friend sent me this lovely bag for Christmas -- isn't it wonderful? It's my new purse. There are no interior pockets, but I have lots of small wallets and zippered containers, and it opens so nice and wide, it works great! Plus, it holds lots of things - a pair of gloves, a loaf of bread ... without becoming the "black hole" that some purses do.
My daddy is rather ill and in the hospital right now. He is 89, and not in good health, but I do love him so dearly. Aren't our elderly loved ones very precious? To me, he is still just the same daddy he has always been -- I know that inside himself, he is that same strong, eminently-capable, dependable, caring 50 year old man who I could turn to for anything. I don't like aging much, but I truly dislike it for my parents. 

Trixie is trying hard to be a good puppy. In the evenings she snoozes with Daddy on the couch until she slides off.


Love to all - we're expecting 3-5" of snow tomorrow. Stay warm out there!

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Winter time is perfect to do jigsaw puzzles. I had put one out at Christmas and although it was a 1000 pc. one and not easy to do it did get finished. I love when various people who claim to not like to do puzzles come along and get hooked!
I'm sorry your father isn't doing so well. I hope he rallies.
If you get the predicted snow it will be a winter wonderland outside!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

A nice post about some of your daily life.

It is raining steadily at the moment. Have had rain and some wind off and on since yesterday morning early. A wind chill advisory starting for 7 p.m. tonight came out. Tonight it is to get down to 39 and feel like it is 33. Northern FL is in for some very cold temps with light snow.

I love your summer shawl, the colors are so nice. I don't blame you for not wanting to set up at a market when it is freezing. We've been there, done that ourselves and it is NO fun.

Have a nice day in your cozy farmhouse ~ FlowerLady

Carol Blackburn said...

Sending good thoughts and prayers for your Father's health to improve.

Lisa Richards said...

The shawl is just gorgeous! I love those colors.
It sounds like you're having a wonderfully creative life in your little home. I do a lot of layering, too, in cold weather. A gal from my ATC swapping site sent me some goodies which included a tiny jigsaw puzzle. No picture for a reference, so it should be challenging, but fun! Stay warm, folks!