Saturday, January 27, 2018

Happy Little Things!

 For those of you still encased in snow and ice,  please know that daffodils are bursting out somewhere ...
Here, as a matter of fact!

I'm having fun with the little mice in my new book.


 Sketching and then painting:

Now ... on to that spinning wheel. Adam finally found a solution for my bobbin, and it is spinning as well as can be expected on a 200 year old wooden machine! I also spent a couple of hours with a friend who spins, and has several wheels. She let me practice on hers a bit, which was so helpful. But in the end -- each spinner has to find her own groove, her own sweet spot. My friend helped me make this lovely skein:
 It's 20 yards of yarn, but it is beautiful, and it is mine. How satisfying! I'm so thankful for my friend's help.
 Today I combed some more alpaca fiber, because you can't spin until you comb it first!

 The two above I spun yesterday. Together they are over an ounce of yarn.
 These two photos are of today's skein, which weighs in at .7 oz. 
 The scary stuff below is dark brown alpaca fiber. I'm washing it today. It was pretty nasty. I won't tell you what was in it ....
 

But it's cleaner now, and drying on the back porch. Looks like somebody's hair cut.
 I intend to ply together the two: the white and the dark brown. Should be very pretty. 

Adam made French onion soup when we had some friends over. 
May all be well with you, dear friends. May you find peace in your home, satisfaction in the work of your hands, and joy in those you love.

3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Some of my bulbs are growing too!! Isn't that encouraging as the weather here is forecast to for heavy rain and more wind! Spring will surely come, as it always has.
I love how you show your sketch of the 3 mice dancing and then the painted page. Those mice seem to be in motion.

Carol Blackburn said...

Oh my M.K. your mice are so cute! And that turkeymobile..... well, now that's different for sure. Have a wonderful day. Won't see daffodils around these parts for 3-4 months unless I buy them at the store.

Lisa Richards said...

My computer is sluggish about loading the photos, but I do see some dancing mice! And lots of progress on spinning! That brown and white should be amazing when it's spun together! You're having fun! :)