Monday, January 22, 2018

Never a Dull Moment --

(I finished reading The Solitary Summer. I'm still working on Touring Through France, reading it in between other books.)
My mother's mantel. She still had little Christmas decorations up, when I was there for Daddy's funeral. The beautiful clock belonged to Daddy's mother. Adam put a new mechanism in it a few years ago, so Daddy wouldn't have to keep winding it.

I'm painting away on my next story about the Thanksgiving Mice. 
The farm wife is up very early on Thanksgiving Day.
Mrs. Mouse takes notes on the farm wife's cooking.
I'm working on the dining room picture.

I've had very sweet responses from friends regarding my "Punkin" story - thank you! It was fun. I'm now assembling and mailing out the second printing. (If you asked for one, please send your money. If you want one, please leave a comment.) Instead of copying from the originals at Staples, Adam scanned them onto the computer and cleaned them up. Some of the backgrounds I am not pleased with, and I am retouching some images in each book as I send them out. I still have not found a printing option that I am totally happy with. I may need to rethink and start again.

The woes of the spinning wheel!!! I have struggled with the treadle, the wheel, and especially the bobbin. I told Adam it was time I had a real wooden footman, instead of a string. A yard stick is actually just the right thickness. (I may paint it later.)
 The treadling and spinning were immediately better. I'm able to pedal slower, without the band coming off. This means I won't overtwist my yarn. It's just too complicated for words. Will I ever conquer it?
Then, just as the footman was done, this leather bearing broke.
 Goodness! I can't complain, however, because it's probably original to the wheel, and therefore nearly 200 years old. If I'd been spinning a bobbin that long, I'd be ready to be done too. The leather bearing fits in here:
 Adam made one new bearing for me (on the right below), so now he's making me another. They are so stiff when they're new. 
I have much to learn. 

Our weather is warmer. We worked outside today. My baby chicks are doing just fine.
This was from yesterday. Today I removed all adult birds from the coop for 30 minutes to give the babies a chance to eat. The mamas love the babies' food, the crumbly, dusty stuff you see there. Poor babies. Their little tails are starting to fluff. Before I know it, they will be big fluffy hens like their mothers.

Oh! Remember these two?
Guess what? They got engaged over Christmas break! Everything got so crazy with my daddy's illness and death, and I'm not sure if I ever said it here. Gramm proposed to Anna in Clarksdale, Mississippi, his hometown. They'll be married here at our church in June. We are just thrilled! They are so well-suited for each other. Anna is busy, planning away in Japan. I'm sure there'll be lots of wedding news this spring.

See you gals (and any guys?) later! Remember ... spring is on its way!

8 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

You sure have challenges with the old spinning wheel. Eventually you will have it up and running but in the meantime it must be very frustrating.
I believe you did post about Gramm and Anna's engagement but better to post twice than not share the great news.

GretchenJoanna said...

I didn't see about the engagement until now - I am so excited for your family! He looks pleased as punch in this picture. I like that!

Lisa Richards said...

How is your mom? I've been wondering what her plans are. Can she stay in their home? Do I recall correctly that she lives just down the road from one of your brothers? I know it's a time of many decisions. Keep up the good work on the spinning wheel and book!

Henny Penny said...

Yes, I do think you will conquer that spinning wheel. I really want you to. I had such big plans for having a few sheep and learning to spin when we moved into our log cabin. I give up to easily. What I wound up with is two pet goats. I'm so happy for Anna and Gramm.

Ida said...

Congrats to the happy couple. Weddings are always a special time.

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi M.K. I love the daffodil header you've put up. And, your mouse in the apron drawer is adorable..... You are such a busy woman. Blessings!
Carol

Una said...

200 years old. That is amazing, especially if you can manage to use it.

Unknown said...

MK, Was your sweet Daddy's clock on your mantel in the house at RTS? It looks familiar! Praying for you as you miss your Dad and grieve him. It's been 7 years for me. I know it's hard. If you ever need to talk, I'm always here. Love you, San