Thursday, January 18, 2018

Twice in January

Yes, it's snowed again. In opposition to the cold, today I made baked spaghetti for lunch.
My lovely mother (who will no longer be able to read my blogs since my daddy is gone, and she is not a computer-savvy great-grandma!) gave me these cute warm slippers while I was with her.
Trixie is learning to be a big girl. She spends a lot of time here:
I have three baby chicks, born on Tuesday! I'm trying to get good photos of them.

I'll be noting which chicks have completely black heads. Supposedly those are likely to be females. You see the one above has a white/yellow dot on its head - probably a male.

Today Adam made a new leather bearing for my spinning wheel. He epoxied two pieces of leather together, measuring for the right fit.
 That pale shape is the leather bearing with his markings on it. The pin from the flyer is sticking into it, just as it should. First repair done!
Below you see the entire flyer assembly with the new leather at the top of the photo - it's folded in half.
Adam and Julia bought a big piece of leather in Raleigh over last week. Adam made two books with his half. Here's my book:
Isn't it beautiful? We seem to love all things old and natural. This is actually a book cover - I can fill it with page bundles, and change them out when it becomes full.

I've done more on the first page of my new book, "The Thanksgiving Mice."
 I may add a few things -- something on the yellow wall, perhaps a little rug. Please note the apron falling out of the drawer and the itty bitty mouse peeking from there.
And I painted a black baby chick. They won't be this small for long.
She needs more fluff on her back.
 This is my view from my desk as I write and paint. The birds are hungry. Ooo -- can you see the one flying in for a landing, against the snow?
 

I've put our lemon and our lime trees on my sewing machine by the east window in my studio - the brightest place in the house. Poor things. And I brought in two tomato plants before they got zapped. They seem happy inside for now. I'm eager for warm temperatures, bright sunshine, and spring. I want time in my greenhouse ... but that's weeks away. 

Two snows in January! We rarely get two snows per winter, and often get none. We Southerners are cold-weather wimps, that's for sure! We get barely a puff of winter, and we're desperate for spring!

8 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I like the warm and cozy slippers your Mom gave you. It's too bad she can no longer access your blog.
Three chickies!! How I wish we could have a couple of hens here in town. When we had our first ones they were so tame but the second ones were wild and easily spooked. Now we can't have any ( not that it was legal when we had ours but there wasn't a fuss made like now).
Your newest book is coming along well. Might as well work on it while your spinning wheel is getting fixed. Once it's done you'll be busy spinning away.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a great, newsy post! A lovely snow, your spinning wheel being lovingly restored, a new adorable book and your sweet little chicks. Love your warm slippers also.

Happy January ~ FlowerLady

Deborah Montgomery said...

What a wonderful gift of the spinning wheel! And those cozy slippers, too. Ha, I can't even think of spring. My husband just started a new tax season (he's a CPA), and I've always thought of tax season as winter, with no spring until April 15. Which is actually very right on here in Michigan. In fact, spring by April 15 is pushing it! So I'm settled in for the long haul.
You are the new Beatrix Potter! Love the little mice in your illustrations.

Lisa Richards said...

I love your art room, and the view, so much! Is your mom totally without a computer at home? Does she go to the library where someone could help her get to your blog on one of their computers? The rustic book cover is so cool! And you've made a beautiful start on your new story! I'm sure spring will arrive soon in your locale. ;)

Gumbo Lily said...

I immediately noticed the apron falling out of the drawer and the towel hanging on the fridge door. Great little details. You could be Susan Branch in the making!!!

Snow! You are definitely tasting winter now!

The chicks are so fast that they are hard to photograph unless you can hold one in your hand. They are so cute!

Carol Blackburn said...

Good afternoon M.K., how wonderful Adam is getting your spinning wheel in order so quickly. Your little chicks are so adorable and I bet would feel so soft. I had a friend once who told me her chickens had twins, to which I replied, "how can you tell don't all chickens look alike?" She got the biggest laugh and I sounded so dumb. Then I got it, from a double-yoker. Well,the "yoke"was on me..... Your new story is starting out nicely and I've no doubt will start taking off on a wonderful adventure. Stay warm, Spring can't be that far away. Can it???

Henny Penny said...

Glad you are getting your spinning wheel fixed. You must be so excited. We really have had a lot of extreme cold and snow here, for one month. I'm anxious for warm weather too. I am much happier in warm weather. What sweet little chicks. You do such a good job drawing...you are an artist! Oh, I will let you know when the little book arrives. Thank you! Hope you mom is doing okay. I hate that she won't be able to read your blog.

Kezzie said...

Your paintings for The Thanksgiving Mice are glorious!
I love the leather covers. Isn't Adam clever!!!