Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Rare Snow

In the midst of a very cold week, bitter wind, surprising snow, power outage, and shivery mornings, we have this beautiful joy to warm our hearts: Anna and Gramm are engaged!
in 2011
Another precious couple, my parents. My wonderful daddy is very ill and in the hospital. He is 89 and has struggled against diabetes, and then a stroke, for many years, but the battle is hard, and he is weary. I plan to drive to West Virginia on Saturday to spend some time with them. We hope he will rally, but he has had two small heart attacks in the past week.
last February
I have always been my daddy's little girl. We have a special, unspoken, mutually-understood love and devotion for each other. My daddy is a strong man. He has a strong will, can be stubborn and hard to handle, but he's also utterly dependable and solid when you need him to be.The world, and especially God's kingdom, has been a better place because of his work in it.

We had a heavy snow, for our area -- about 4 inches. The ice that accompanied it caused power outage, and our little farm house grew quite chilly, reaching 46 degrees in the house before a power crew repaired the line and we started to warm our home again. What a day! All the emotions of joy and sorrow were a bit too much for me, and I crashed somewhat before the lights came back on. Here are some more photos of the snow. 







Our house is all electric. The only heat source available that doesn't rely on Duke Energy is this little portable oven -- not really a grill. It runs on a small propane tank. Adam set it up on our front porch -- which, with the sunshine, quickly became warmer than the house! -- and cooked some bacon and eggs for breakfast. It was a very sweet gesture, but sadly nothing would cheer me except the presence of four truckloads of burly men from Raleigh, wrangling the electrical wires in our side yard.

Life is constantly changing. It seems we never really get a good chance to stop, relax, and catch our breath, much less really get our bearings. I find myself saying repeatedly, "When life slows down a little, I'll do such-and-such." Life never slows down. One must snatch the quick opportunities to do all the such-and-suches whether one is rested or not. There are many little and big things going on in life right now, but they will all wait (or be neglected) because I want to be with my daddy and my mother. It will be a cold road to the mountains, but the inner fire of family love will keep me going. 
Stay warm out there, everyone!

12 comments:

Henny Penny said...

Congratulations to Anna and Graham. That is a beautiful picture! At first I thought they were actors from a PBS Show. It's beautiful! Anna is very pretty! I'm so sorry to hear that your dad is sick. What a sweet happy looking couple your mom and dad are. I hope and pray he gets well. Have a safe trip to West Virginia. Spending some time with them will make you feel better. I could not get any of your snow pictures to open. Bet it was pretty there!

Lisa Richards said...

Have a safe trip to visit your daddy! He'll be so glad to see you!(So will your mom!)Glad you have heat and electric again!

Granny Marigold said...

Congratulations to Anna and Gramm! They make such a sweet couple.
I'm sorry this is turning out to be a very difficult time for you. I pray you will be strong to cope with whatever the future holds.
For some reason none of the snow picture areas are blank. I wonder if anyone else will have the same problem.
Take care my friend (((hugs)))

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good morning dear M.K. Congrats to Anna and Gramm. Look at the love & happiness radiating out of her lovely eyes. They make a wonderful couple.

I am so sorry to hear about your dear Dad. Love, hugs & prayers for all of you at this time.

None of your snow photos showed up in your blog. No snow this far south, but it was 38 and real feel was 26 yesterday morning. It is 41 and feels like it is 33 at 7:23 EST this morning. I have my radiant heat heater on, socks and slippers on and a long nightgown. It is 'cold' here in s.e. FL, but not as cold as all of you up north are having it. Thurs. the power went off twice here, the last time it was off for an hour and I was glad when we were hooked up again.

May your power stay on and you be warm and cozy there in your sweet little home ~ FlowerLady

Suzanne B said...

Tears for this beautiful piece ... thank you, and blessings to you, M.K.

melissa said...

I feel for you. An engagement, a joyous occasion, back to back with your dad's health. Add to that the anxiety you've had weather-wise. Too much. Extremes both good and bad. These are the times I want to hibernate for awhile.

Godspeed on your trip. He's holding you close.

Carol Blackburn said...

Congratulations to Anna and Gramm! What a beautiful couple they are. Of course my thoughts and prayers go with you for your father's health. Your parents look like a great couple too. May God bless them with more time together on earth and be with you as you travel and visit with them.

Granny Marigold said...

Just wanted to add that checking back today I could now view the snow pics!

Una said...

What a whirlwind of emotions you are going through at the moment. I'm sure you are strong enough to cope with everything. Happy New Year.

magsmcc said...

When I feel like this, and I mostly do, I wish I had time to dig out T S Eliot and find out whether it is the Wasteland or the Four Thingies that talk of the whirling dance of life. If we could step out of it we would understand it, learn how to manage it; but if we step out... Life is beautiful, but so bleak too. Much love and many, many prayers from here. Your beautiful daddy doesn't have to look through the glass darkly x

Pom Pom said...

Prayers for your daddy, MK. It was hard for me to see my dad decline. Prayers for you, too.
You asked me about saying "too many makes on the go" and I think I've heard other people say that. English people maybe?
Take care, friend.

Gumbo Lily said...

Joyful congratulations to the handsome couple and prayers for you as you travel to your mom and dad's. God bless you.