Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Before the Storm

I'm in West Virginia visiting family this week. Sometime tonight a snow and ice storm will roll in.
I'm still knitting on the kimono for Little Baby Boy. It's gray, but I may thread a little line of blue around the neckline to give it a pop of color.
It's been fun visiting Bonnie too, my mother's Corgi.
She is so expressive and affectionate. My mother is so, so thankful for her companionship.
On Sunday I ate a yummy new nibble that I want to share with you: cheesy pinwheels.

WARNING: ADDICTIVE!!
You start with the pop-open crescent rolls from the grocery store. Take two adjoining triangles of dough and gently pinch them together along the diagonal to form a rectangle of dough. Smear softened cream cheese on it, then crumble cooked sausage, and lastly sprinkle grated cheddar cheese. None of it should be thick. Roll the dough up and pinch to seal the edge and ends. Cut in discs, place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 until dough is lightly gold and cheese melts.

What have I done since being on the windy hilltop along the narrow country road, in the 120-year-old house? My niece is here for an extended visit, which is a true delight to everyone. Last night we had a nice family dinner (well, 6 of us) around Mother's table. Today Mother and I went out for lunch with my sister-in-law, Anne. Now that we have no children in tow, and we had no work to dash off to, we were able to sit in our booth for an hour or so and just talk. It was so lovely and relaxing. There are some things you never get around to talking about unless you have luxurious time, extra time. Topics that can't be rushed or crammed into a few minutes. 
Tonight Mother and I ate leftovers and watched an episode of Foyle's War

What's Adam doing in my absence, you ask? He's radically deep-cleaning and painting the back porch.
Our washing machine died at last, despite all his repair efforts. So he hunted and compared online, and we decided to buy a Japanese mini-washer. I'll show you more when I see it. It takes smaller loads (which is okay by me; there's only 2 of us), spins the clothes almost dry, and takes up less space. Adam will rearrange the appliances on the porch and we'll have lots more space. Not to mention how much CLEANER it is already! Hooray for wonderful, hard-working husbands!

That's all for now ... Hopefully I'll have snow pictures for you tomorrow!

5 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

I'll be interested to see the mini-washer. We once got something that sounds similar. Our washer died and we couldn't afford a new one, so a friend gave us a little mini-washer. It worked quite well, as I recall. My daughter belongs to several online discussion groups of young mothers and someone today was wondering if she needed to buy a second washing machine to keep up with her family of five's laundry. What?!? My daughter just replied, "A load a day keeps the laundry monster away!" Glad you're enjoying your time with your mom. I agree, some topics just don't come up unless you have lots of unhurried time to visit. :) Stay safe in the snow and ice!

Granny Marigold said...

Here's hoping the snow and ice storm is not too much of a problem. We're also dealing with unexpectedly snowy and cold weather. I think we've had snow on the ground for 2 weeks now with lots of days where schools were closed much to the delight of all children.
Yay for a new washing machine!! And a newly painted porch!!
Enjoy your visit with family!!

happyone said...

Enjoy the snow. It has just turned to freezing rain here by me.

Henny Penny said...

That is such a good picture of your mother and her Corgi. Bet she really enjoyed having you home. I miss being able to go spend a weekend with mama. She used to beg me to come more often. Now I wish I had.

Retired Knitter said...

A mini- washer! sounds intriguing. Look forward to seeing and hearing more about it.