Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Distracted By Art

I had great intentions of being outside this morning. It's 72 degrees and sunny!
Adam is in the garden, turning beds and setting up the greenhouse.


The front door is standing open and the heater is turned off. 

Is it spring yet? (Ha! No.)
I did get to the farm store and bought onion sets and some packs of spring annuals.

However ... However! My dear mother-in-law is to blame for the fact that I've instead spent my morning indoors hovered over my desk, in front of Youtube. Because she shared this channel with me:

Adam's mom has been painting beautifully for years and is doing watercolors now -- so, so pretty. She's been painting along with this lady, and sent me a card and bookmark.
Thank you, G!

So I decided to turn my hand to this youtuber's methods, and a few hours later, I look up and think, "Huh? Where did those hours go? That was FUN!" Here's what I painted:
 Splatters and splotches
 It's scary adding black into to pastels!
 The photo below is what the Youtube lady painted. Her black ink is so much better, and her flowers are more sparse, which looks better.

 I made a classic beginner's error of putting too much on the paper. Still, not too bad. She's also not afraid of layering her colors carefully and her objects.That adds richness.

Now here's the second one. I loved it until I added the pen outlining. 


Adam loaned me one of his fancy-shmancy fountain pens. It's perfect, but must be used with caution.
And below, the third one. It's missing a color, I think. 
 I added some shimmering white since I decided not to outline with that bold black.

And I do not like the bow!

So ... that's my morning! I'll go weed my herb beds this afternoon. Promise.

8 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi M.K. So nice you got to play with the watercolors that way. Lovely bouquets to brighten up the day. We had 50 degree temps today and what a treat it was. I bet it's just a teaser though, way too early in the year to look hopeful. Have a lovely week.

Granny Marigold said...

You had fun and that's important too. The weeds will still be there tomorrow!!
72 degrees!! I am so envious ( even if it won't last for long. It gives one hope.)

happyone said...

Wow 72 that is nice and warm.

Retired Knitter said...

Your art is just as beautiful !!!!

Gumbo Lily said...

I love youtube for watercolor lessons. So much out there. I like your paintings. I wish it was 72 degrees here!

Lisa Richards said...

Time does fly when you're enjoying art! That video looks interesting. I'll have to check it out! Not feeling very springy here. I hope you enjoy the outside work, too! :)

GretchenJoanna said...

How wonderful! This is the first time I have thought: "Maybe I will try making some cards." Shocking!! In a few months I should have the physical/mental space and time to do that if I want. In the meantime I can trust you to go on inspiring me. XO

Kezzie said...

Why did you tell me about this!?!? Now I want to try it!!!