Sunday, September 6, 2009

A new shopping experience:

Yesterday was THE DAY. Adam and I started out at our local farmers' market. I bought a dozen ears of corn, 2 lbs of sweet potatoes, about 10 fresh gala apples, a clump of green onions, and 2 mums.

In the afternoon we started at Aldi, because a lady had mentioned how much she likes it, and we hadn't been for a couple of years (!!). I'd forgotten how cheap their butter is. We also found some great-looking beef cubes for making Julia Child's Bouef Bourguignon -- yep, we're trying it this week! I left Aldi a happy camper, and proceeded onto our weekly nemesis: Walmart.

Here are some items I bought for the first time this week:

There were other items, but these are a few. I also bought different flour. I'd love to buy from a co-op, in huge barrels like my SIL does, but that's not in the budget right now. Still, buying King Arthur will keep us away from all that nasty stuff, aka "enriched" additives. When you see "enriched" on a label, RUN!!

One thing I've decided we will live without is boxed cereals; this afternoon I made a nice recipe of granola. I'd bought a package of dried fruit and one of dried berries, so we can customize our cereal in the mornings. I like cranberries; Peter likes papaya. Doesn't it look good?

Here's the recipe:

Melt a stick of butter in a large oven-safe pan. Add 1/2 - 1 cup of nuts (I used almonds) and brown lightly. Add 5 cups of old-fashioned oats and stir until coated. Turn off heat. Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup honey, and 1/2 cup wheat germ; stir. Add 1 T. cinnamon and 1 t. vanilla; stir. Bake in a 350 oven until brown. Remove and turn. When cool enough, remove to airtight containers.

3 comments:

diber said...

TOtally with ya on the cereal thing. It's so expensive, and doesn't last very long.

I only buy VERY rarely when I really a little extra help in the morning. We rotate between pancakes, eggs, and oatmeal/granola.

You should check out the King Arthur flour website, because they have so many awesome recipes. Esp for crackers.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am from Mitford. Didn't you post there a while? I see you are switching to organic; I have been on a 2 year journey doing the same thing and I am really enjoying it.
Congrats on the homeschooling! I graduated all 3 of my daughters from my little homeschool. Best, hardest, most rewarding thing I have ever done.
Lovie

M.K. said...

J - we're enjoying the granola! And it doesn't get soggy like Frosted Flakes do!

Lovie, yes I used to post at Mitford a couple of years ago, but no longer do. Thanks for the encouragement!!