Sunday, December 30, 2018

Beauty Here and There

This will be a hodge-podge post. First, I failed to show you the toenails I had done when we girls went to the nail salon Monday before Christmas. This outing is a tradition for us now.
 I'd never chosen blue before. When the nice lady asked if I wanted sparkly snowflakes too, of course I said yes.

My first tincture is finished. I strained it off into these dark bottles. Three of them have droppers for dosing. I cleaned the old essential oil bottle very well before using it for tincture.
(photo bomb by baby Philip)
 I took my first dose a few minutes ago, and the taste has passed. But I cannot quite describe how utterly bitter and vile it is. One friend said, "medicinal," but I think that's kind. Still, if I can tell a difference (this one is supposed to be calming and good for anxiety), I'll take it.

I returned from the Christmas trip to find 15 eggs underneath a broody silkie hen. {{{{sigh}}}} I do not want a broody hen in January ever again! We threw the eggs over the back fence and into a ditch, and I've been stealing all her eggs ever since. She will not be setting eggs, no sirree!!

My youngest hen, also part silkie (with a prominent tuft of black feather crowning on her head) finally started laying. She's my only olive-colored egg layer. See?
 I'd been baffled in finding her a name. But as soon as she laid the egg -- a minute later -- I knew exactly who she is. She's Clementine.

Soon more gourd painting will commence. I have three dried and ready; Julia wants to do one. One is spotty, one is half-spotty, and one is small and funky. And see what I'm using for my paint brushes? A toothbrush holder from the thrift store -- perfect!
 This is a very nice one. I think Julia should pick this one.
I painted, varnished, and sold 2 of these gourds before Christmas, and I think they are just stunning. Here's my remaining one:


I can cut holes in the gourds with a small knife if needed; I cut a hole in the bottom of this one to string the yarn through pinholes in the bottom, and then glued the piece back in. I can also put holes through the neck of the gourd with a thick needle and thread the yarn through that way. I like them to have some thin yarn with a long loop above to hang the gourd. I want to get progressively creative and inventive in how I paint them, and in how I use the holes and yarn. 

I think I enjoy this particular craft because it combines growing something (all summer and well into fall, plus curing them) with painting ... and yarn too. All my favorite things!

Julia's here for a brief stay before heading back across the state for college. We had a lovely, balmy visit to Oriental, and more fun adventures will follow in the next week.

4 comments:

Debbie Harris said...

Your toes look awesome! Having our feet looked after is a good thing as we age, well, at least I believe so. :}
Your talent always amazes me, God has certainly gifted you.
Love the photo at the end of your post.
Blessings for the New Year ~

Henny Penny said...

I can't believe all that you do. Your toenails look pretty! No way would I ever show my ugly toes. :) Andee is always wanting the three of to get our toenails done but I'm too embarrassed. I love the picture of you and Julia!

Granny Marigold said...

I hope the bitter stuff helps. Something that tastes that bad has to be effective (?)
The gourds are so amazing they almost seem to need only varnish to make them shine.
Sweet photo of you and Julia.

Deborah Montgomery said...

I have some press-on nails (I know, tacky, but fun!) that look just like your big toe with the snowflake. Very festive! Love the picture of you and your daughter. And wow, those gourds are works of art. Now I'm going to have to scroll back and see what that tincture is. Happy New Year, M.K.