Saturday, December 8, 2018

December Eighth

What a weekend! Last night our church gave out hot cider and cookies at the town dock. Right afterward, I dashed to the Episcopal church for a concert.
I sang with the other chorale members and helped to play the piano for the concert.
Then this morning I was up quite early to sell my wares at the farmer's market until noon. It was a successful morning! I dropped in on a friend who'd decorated for Christmas.
Now I'm relaxing a little before our second Chorale concert this evening.
Tomorrow morning, of course, we have church, the second Sunday in Advent. I have "snack" after church, so in the morning I'll be making a pot of chili, some celery and PB, and Adam is making a bread pudding with sauce.
This time of year is like this, yes? Busy. But as I've thought about Advent, I feel it is all about waiting -- patient, humble waiting that realizes God holds the schedule, not me. Yet, hurried bustle around Christmas feels  like I'm on my own schedule, clicking the days off as Christmas Day comes on like a steam train. How do I do concerts, markets, church duties, and cooking, all while I'm waiting expectantly, quietly, humbly, inside myself? I don't know.

3 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I think you do what you are already doing - just do the next thing and take advantage of the margins (like today between concerts).

Granny Marigold said...

Did your gourds attract lots of attention at the farmer's market, and did any hippie-type buy the one with the Rosemary sprig on top?

GretchenJoanna said...

Is that you surfing in your Santa suit?

In addition to the margins that Pom Pom mentions, you will have to remind yourself that you are singing and doing the various things because they are important to you, and try to be really present in those moments. You might have to bow out of something you don't have a lead role in, if you feel yourself parched for the quiet time. God bless you, Dear!