Sunday, February 22, 2009

Meatloaf

Okay, ladies. Now this is a recipe I got from my mother. Adam and I are continuously amazed at how the recipes I get from her must morph over the years, because after a couple of decades, her meatloaf (or spaghetti, or roast...) and mine don't resemble each other! Go figure.

The two women themselves, however, become more alike as the year go by!

Anywho, here is my meatloaf recipe. I don't really measure for this one. My philosophy about meatloaf is, the moister the better!

Ground beef (I like chuck, but it ain't cheap anymore!), say 2 pounds
Oatmeal - maybe a cup? Less? Don't hold me to it.
2 eggs
Mix these three together with a bit of salt.

Sauce:
In a saucepan on medium, heat lots of ketchup. Put in more than you think you'll need, and you'll still run out. I'd say at least 2 cups. Also add (and stir):
Mustard, at least a 2 tablespoons
Brown sugar, maybe 1/4 cup. That might be a bit sweet...
Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins is the only way to go.) I'd use about a tablespoon, but don't let it dominate your sauce.
Apple cider vinegar, oh, about 1-2 tablespoons.
A little salt
Vary these proportions to your liking, if you make this more than once.

[I'm not usually a let's-just-throw-those-ingredients-in-there kind of gal, but for some reason I do this on meatloaf.]

Heat the sauce to a light bubble. Pour a good bit into the meat mixture, until it's nicely moist and blend well. Save some of it to put on top of the meatloaf too.

Most people form meatloaf into, well, a LOAF. But for years our family has preferred it in individual rounds, about the size of a large bun. That way, each person gets more of the slightly-crusty outside, and we all know that's the best part! Just form them into mounds in a casserole dish and pour some of the sauce on top of each one. Save some sauce also to put on each mound again, about 20 minutes before they are completely cooked.

Cook the meatloaf on about 350 for 45 min. - an hour.

This is especially good with mashed potatoes and green beans. Comfort food!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Thanks for the blog advice--and this meatloaf looks good! Maybe if I make it my kids will like my meatloaf better than Dad's again. How fun to reconnect--I'll be reading your blog now too.