Sunday, September 28, 2014

Flying Down the Neuse

Saturday afternoon, Adam and I had the delight of sailing with friends who came to Oriental for a month this summer. Ted and Mili are friendly, hospitable folks who love to sail. They're back in Oriental briefly, and we snatched the afternoon for a trip down the Neuse to South River. Here's their boat, Morning Glory.
She's a beautiful, broad catamaran.
Ted picked us up at the dinghy dock in their dinghy and brought us around to the back of the boat. We stepped out onto the pontoon extensions and then up the stairs into their home-away-from-home.
This is what we found. Have you ever seen anything lovelier? I was overcome with how pretty, how relaxing, how welcoming this room is. Everything about it says, "Hello, you've just arrived in the Bahamas."
Here's Mili, a sweetie.
Here's Cap'n Ted, an utterly reliable sailor.
Here's the kind of afternoon we enjoyed.
Mili took me on a little tour of Morning Glory. Steps lead down into the pontoon cabins on either side.
She has a very agreeable galley kitchen. Where Mili's standing is another smaller dining room for when you don't want to eat in the larger room above. Sleeping berths are in both pontoons with double beds.
I loved her kitchen with the double sink and so much storage in those cabinets -- so handy!
I hate to post a bathroom picture, but they do have a lovely, clean head. No worries in that department.
Soon we'd motored out of the anchorage, and it was time to raise the sails. Ted did all this while Mili took the helm.
He raised the main and also put up the jib out front.
And we took off! We went 7 or 8 knots, that's 8 or 9 mph.
Token selfie. Mili leant me a jacket because it became chilly with all the wind coming at us.
We chose South River because there are some stories attached to it. Once a little community thrived here. I can only tell you what I've heard -- that their schools were closed, and the families had to move elsewhere to educate their children. Some families dismantled their homes and moved them across the river to Oriental. I don't know what year this occurred. I do know there's a cemetery still maintained along South River. I've heard you can only access it by boat. Some older folks still ask to be interred there, and their loved ones come across the water for the burials and to visit the graves.
In the protection of South River, the water stilled, the wind calmed, and we settled down for some snacks around the table.
I think Adam and I polished off the peanut M&Ms.
It really was so very lovely. I can't thank our friends enough for graciously sharing their boat and their afternoon with us. The river was choppy, and I did feel a little seasick (a rarity for me), but it did not spoil the beauty of the day. I was rather enamored of the peace and comfort of this boat, and I could see Adam's hopeful eyes. Will she possibly, someday, be willing to live on a boat???
Looking back down South River
Ted took a nice shot of us enjoying the view.
What a great day! Can you believe we get to live here? I know -- I occasionally still pinch myself :)
Thanks Ted and Mili! Y'all are the BEST, and we hope you'll come back to Oriental soon!

9 comments:

Mili and Ted Cook said...

Don't let Mary Katherine fool you....we were honored to get to spend a lovely afternoon with these good folks. They've made us feel like old friends in this beautiful place they call home. Blessed.

Lisa Richards said...

Wow! Thanks for taking us on this fascinating visit aboard a catamaran! I would never have imagined that all of that was going on inside those pontoons! I loved the story of the little cemetery. :) Mili and Ted look like nice folks!

M.K. said...

You and Ted are dears, and we're so thankful you've made Oriental a favorite spot :) Safe travels!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour, M.K.! A lovely autumn day, with great photos to remember with - not that you will probably need them!

Dasha said...

There is something very relaxing and peaceful about sailing - out there, just you and nature. That is until a storm hits. :-)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a wonderful time you had on a beautiful boat with dear friends.

You are truly blessed to live where you do and to be able to have an adventure like this.

Thank you for sharing ~ FlowerLady

Ida said...

What a wonderful outing you had. I think it would be fun to sail but not to live on a boat. We recently watch some new show about people who live on Houseboats out on some lake and I tell you that would not be the life I'd choose.

Pom Pom said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I love your river, Ratty!

magsmcc said...

That really is a Wing in the Willows' river home! So terribly clever in all its nooks andc rannies!