Sunday, June 24, 2007

Death of a friend

Yes, sad to say, my Oreck vacuum cleaner died yesterday! Boo, hoo, hoo! It was only 7 years old. The fan blades had ripped off, and the motor overheated and melted, and well ... it died. My husband did the autopsy.

I would take a picture of the deceased, but my camera is in ICU, and probably won't recover. Sigh.

So, I need to get a new vacuum cleaner, and quick! I've had a Dirt Devil before, but it did not last as long as I wanted. You see, I have as my example the vacuum cleaner of my mother...

Her Kirby was purchased in WV about 40 years ago. My dad bought it from a salesman. It had a life-time warranty. When it died a few years ago, my dad sorted through his files, produced the original documentation, sent the goods back to the company, and TADA! the Kirby is still working well today. 40 years.

That's the standard, for me.

Now, I got a $400 Oreck (gulp) because I thought they were supposed to LAST! We used them in the dorms at Cono, sucking up boys' dorm debri. They're little beasts (the vacuums, that is). I am very disappointed that my Oreck died such a quick death.

What to buy next? If you have a suggestion, please leave a post! I saw some Electoluxes (is that right?) at Lowe's, but failed to note the prices. I don't want another WalMart special.

Help!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I don't know what to recommend, MK, but I do not recommend a Eureka, which is what we bought four or five years ago. It is still working, but we have had to replace the same part at least three times.