Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Short Smittens

I've been needing a new pair of smittens for myself. My old pair -- about 4 years old? -- are pretty ratty looking. My soft green pair from last fall are lovely, but the yarn is so soft that they don't keep their shape. Plus, they're really hairy. Soft yarn is pretty furry sometimes.
So I whipped up a new pair with some yarn I bought and liked. It's Loops and Threads "Charisma," and the color is "Toadstool." These variegated yarns are fun to work with, and the "Charisma" wasn't too tricky on the hook.
I tried a new design for the thumb hole, a one-row slit. It gives more coverage to the thumb. I also made these smittens shorter, for spring. They're more for looks and fun than for much warmth. Although I wore them last night to chorale practice, and they were very toasty. Nice.
Julia says she wants them. Not happenin'. Oh -- also, on almost all rows, I only put the hook through the back of the stitches, which gives it that neat tiered look, like waves perhaps. I put a little scallop along the top edge too.

4 comments:

melissa said...

My favorite part is the scalloped edge at the top, reminding me of rick-rack. :)

You do wonderful work. Really.

Pom Pom said...

I love them! You're speedy!

magsmcc said...

Is there an MK pattern for these? You do whip them up so quickly!! I love the scallop x

Gumbo Lily said...

I don't blame you for keeping them. They look so nice.