Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Visit from the Queen

 I told someone lately that a visit from 3 inches of snow, here in the South, is a bit akin to a visit from the Queen. It's a rarity, and we Southerners hardly know how to behave.
Never mind that Oriental is populated by about 80% Yankees!
The docks were chilly this morning. No one was out-and-about. No doggie walkers. No geezers chatting over coffee at The Bean. Adam and I had the road to ourselves. We strolled right down the middle of Broad St., with nary a car in sight.
A sailboat under snow -- quite a sight. We prefer our cruisers to think of Oriental as a warm spot. Oh well!
Adam, Sandy, and I headed out the house this morning for a blog walk ... that means Adam knows I'll want to go get photos for the blog, poor dear, and he's willing to come along. This is our street. We were the first beasts to leave prints in the snow.
Adam pulling on gloves. He wore two pair. As we neared the water, the wind picked up, and he zipped up, and switched from his old-guy hat to a stocking hat. Sandy said to us, "Cold? This isn't cold!"
An ordinary sight to all my Northern friends, but snowy steps are unusual here.
Walking down Broad Street unmolested by traffic gave me a rare opportunity to photograph the older homes there, right in the heart of the old village of Oriental. This pale yellow lady is so beautiful. She's now a nautical gift shop.
I've never seen anyone at this pretty farmhouse.
This large home is still being repaired and raised after Hurricane Irene. It houses the local county newspaper.
This pretty blue home is also always uninhabited.
And this brick home at the foot of the bridge -- I've never seen anyone there either. So many of these homes are owned, but they are 2nd or 3rd properties, I suppose. I wish they were lived in and really used.
This sea green beauty was once the town's hotel. Now it holds a gift shop and a realtor's office.
A row of three homes along Hodges St., in various states of disrepair. This type of farmhouse must've been very popular at some point in Oriental's history. They're everywhere in town.
Of the three, this one looks the worst. I'd love to buy her and fix her up, but Adam and I have both learned over the years that we're not very good at that. We never have the money for it. And even a house like this, in Oriental, would cost a pretty penny. Real estate in town, simply because of its location, is very high.
Someday, that house will sell to a person who will turn it into a jewel.
Here, Broad St. goes uphill over the big bridge. Some brave souls had already attempted it. We saw some trucks fish-tailing around down the road.
The ladies at the Provision Company have a good sense of humor with their signage.
Their dinghies are full of snow.
The Neuse was flat and steely gray.
Thanks for going on our chilly morning walk! Now I shall knit, paint, and sip hot tea for the afternoon.
Blessings all around!

11 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi MK! I loved the walk in snowy Oriental! I love old houses, too. I know we would not be able to spruce one up, but I love it when people do!
Poor Sandy Girl! She needs a sweater!

Kezzie said...

I do feel cold reading this! I'm struck by the pretty colour of the houses in Oriental and I like the wood slate effect!

Mary Ann Potter said...

A wonderful tour of your town --- thanks! You're right about the South and the snow. We left Michigan for NC back in '83, and we were amazed at the way the snowy days were handled. Schools closing for just a hint of the stuff? Folks lining up for bread and milk when the very word was mentioned? Well, we've learned over the years to love our Southern reactions! It's still cold here on the farm, but the critters are doing well, and I'll remember these conditions when summer comes. Blessings from here --- and stay warm.

Leslie said...

Snow makes you look at things differently, I think. It's very serene looking. Y'all stay warm!

Dasha said...

Beautiful! Thank you Adam for letting M.K. take the photos for us. I love the style of architecture you have shown. Non existent in our part of the world, and I guess all the more appealing for that.

M.K. said...

Oh, Sandy would hate a sweater! I think she'd gnaw it off :) Her thick coat and undercoat serve her well. I do love the old farmhouses in town -- they're not even from farms! It makes the town look so quaint.

M.K. said...

We lived in serious snow/ice up North for 7 years, and i remind myself that here in the South they just don't treat the roads at all. That does make a difference. Schools are closed for THREE days this week now -- the kids are so happy, and Julia is still reading the Iliad - haha! :) Homeschooling is, well, at home!

M.K. said...

I hadn't thought of that, Dasha. Architecture does vary around the world. Here in the rural US South, wooden framed farmhouses like that (often with metal roofs) are pretty common. I like them.

Angela said...

I love your house photos! Fixing up a house sounds like so much fun, but you are right it takes lots and lots of money and know-how. We never can keep up with the repairs at our house as it is.

mysteryhistorymom said...

This was such a treat, M.K.! Isn't it wonderful having a husband that supports your blogging? He's a keeper! I love looking at old homes and dreaming of what used to be. BTW, I read through some of your homeschooling posts (wonderful!) and loved your reading lists. Have both my girls starting new books tomorrow. Lord of the Fliers and The Secret Garden. Thanks for the inspiration! Lori

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

We live iin the mountains of Northern California and we are gasping for water in any form but most especially snow, oh how we long for snow. Your town looks absolutely lovely under it's unexpected blanket.