Sunday, January 26, 2014

Post-Blog-Party Ruminations

I must say, that "Grow Your Blog" Party event was more interesting that I anticipated. It fell, thankfully, on a Saturday when Adam was out of town all day and I couldn't go to the market. I was home. All day. With almost nothing pressing to do.

So I traveled the world via blogland.

I found many lovely blogging ladies whose posts I intend to follow. I found a retired farmer in Oxford, North Carolina who was a high school English teacher and is a musician. Isn't that wonderful? Talk about things in common!

I found a lovely blog that has the same Tasha Tudor quote as I have on my banner above.

Welcome, new friends! I have about 20 more followers than I did two days ago -- wahooo!

It was a very happy day. Seeing all the handwork these amazing women do was humbling. I'm always planning to make something but often putting it off, keeping it in its mental stage :) So I started a list of things I'd like to make ... maybe this year ... maybe in a decade ... maybe never.

1. Make a hand-sewn advent calendar. I really want one. Why don't I make one? I usually think of it in December which is not the month to start such a project!
2. Make crocheted or sewn ornaments for the Christmas tree, especially ones for the children. Can I still call them children when they're out of college? Please?
3. Use 2 packets of beautiful fabric squares given to me by a friend. I have no idea what to do with them. I have no idea what to make with so many of the crafty stuff I have in my stash! I need a spark (well, a bonfire) of creativity these days!
4. Make a crocheted blanket. I have quite a few beautiful granny-square examples on my Pinterest board, but I've noticed that half the world's crocheters seem to be making ripple blankets. What's up with the ripple, girls? Everyone's posting updates on their ripples. Here's one very pretty one, on this post. And Mags made a ripple blanket last year too, and I enjoyed following her progress. There must be something in it ....
5. Sew an article of clothing for myself. It's a shame, really, that I don't sew anymore, and haven't sewn anything much in many years. I used to sew a lot in high school and college. Then it went out of fad, and patterns and fabric sky-rocketed in price, and clothing became cheaper. But I miss it. And in this blog foray on Saturday I realized that many ladies out there are still sewing away faithfully. I should be too.

That's my short list, and I'm sure to add to it as I recall things I've been wanting to do, like make candles. I know I am productive now, but life is short and there are many things to be done. One more thing I realized afresh as I wandered around in blogland is that I still want chickens. More ladies are keeping chickens than are making ripple blankets, and that's saying something!

Do you have a I-want-to-make list? What's on your list?

Other blog thought: I think I want to do a giveaway soon. I don't think I've ever done one, have I? It's time. So many lovely things were given away in the party. If I did do a giveaway, what would y'all like me to give to you? Ideas?

One last blog thought: It's getting hard for me to keep all my online friends straight. I'm serious! I'm 50, with limited brain capacity. The better you know someone -- her face, her name, her city, her job, her family's names, her hobbies, her loves -- the better you remember her. I have blog friends that I know that well, and I never forget their names. But some of you dear ladies out there ... you don't post your photo. You don't give your name. I can't find out where you live, and no, I'm not an axe murderer. I know it's good to be cautious, but ... but ... if we're gonna invite each other into our hearts and our creativity and our faith and the things that motivate and thrill us ... why won't we say who we are? Just a thought. So I've added my city to my 'About me' spot. And I've moved it to the top of my sidebar, so people can see my tiny-little-face-photo right away. And an updated photo of Adam and me is there too.

And my name is Mary Kathryn. I just go by "M.K." because it's so much shorter :)

Lotza love to all y'all girls!

23 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

It was fun, wasn't it?! And thanks for the link to my blog! I know it's been a lovely day there --- it actually warmed up some here, too. Looking forward to all the good things that came of the blog hop! Have a blessedly wonderful night!

Lisa Richards said...

Boy, that sure opened a can of worms! I thought, "Hey, I'll change my 'About Me' section to show my name and more about where I live!'" Easier said than done! I couldn't figure out how to put in new info. So I tried various things and managed to patch together a gadget for my blog, but it's not the official "About Me" gadget, so I had to add a link through my picture to get to my profile page. Aaarrgghh! Ha! Anyway, there's a picture of me (albeit 4 years old) and if you go to my profile you'll actually learn what town I'm from. :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Love that new pic of you and Adam in the sidebar. :-)

mysteryhistorymom said...

M.K.- The blog party was such fun! I have 14 new followers so far, but you are my favorite.:) Kindred spirits, indeed! I love that you'll enjoy my blog while watching a movie in your jammies and eating popcorn- delightful! I can't wait to read how you make soap as I've always wanted to learn. I believe that you wrote you loved The Help and that's one of my absolute favorite books, too. The movie was also well done! Cee Cee Honeycutt was amazing, too! Truly looking forward to reading more about you, sweetie. So glad we've met! (Glad you're not an axe murderer- tee hee... Lori

Dasha said...

The link up was fun wasn't it? I have had many more visitors than I ever dreamed I would have. To go with your "To do" list, have you seen the NewFO link at Cat Patches? http://catpatches.blogspot.com.au/p/newfo-challenge.html It is fun, and not yet the end of the month, so there is still time to do something for that.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I just came over from Flower Lady Lorraine's and am your newest follower. There is always so much creative inspiration on people's blogs. So much inspiration, so little time. I noticed from your sidebar that you have a Pomeranian puppy, and a Sheltie. They look like sweeties. We have a Pom now (or I should say, he has us). Before our Pom we had a sable and white Sheltie. Both wonderful dogs---but completely different personalities.

It is fun to have a face and place to go with the blogs we enjoy reading, to me, it makes posts feel like conversations.

CATHY said...

Hi MK, I'm with you - I like to know names and where people live. Sometimes I wonder if it is a male or female - but then most of the art blogs I hang on are all women : ) Thanks for stopping by my blog in Singapore! And you will learn more than you want about me from two my blogs : )

Una said...

I'm still working my way through the blogs. There are so many good ones.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

How wonderful that you acquired 20 new followers. I didn't participate, but I visited lots of the blogs and it was interesting to read them all and find out about others.

I think you have a lovely name and I love the picture of you and Adam in the sidebar.

I am crocheting a round ripple blanket. Found the pattern online, where else? :-) It looked interesting and different. I love to crochet, especially with fine threads, and have now started crocheting beaded edgings too.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

M.K. said...

Mary Ann, we're gonna have a lovely day today ... and then, boom! ice and snow on Tuesday. We just hunker down in the house, but I bet that means work for you and yours on the farm. Stay safe!

M.K. said...

Lisa, I ran into the same thing! You don't change your "about me" info on your blog/dashboard layout. You change it on your blogspot info page. Hmm. I'm not quite sure how to say it. You know when you click on a blogger's name and it takes you to a page that lists all the blogs they follow, etc.? If you go to YOUR page like that, it will allow you to change your profile. Hope that makes sense. I might change my photo there too, but I don't have many decent photos of me.

M.K. said...

Thanks, dear :)

M.K. said...

Aww! Lori, I read your comment to my 14 yo daughter (who sits on my bed in jammies studying biology) and we simultaneously said, 'Awwwww!' HAHAHA. I'm ashamed to say, I haven't read The Help book, but I did see the movie. I want to read the book. I have a PILE of books, sigh. But I have something better! I grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, so the setting is very real to me, and some of the characters are very real, if rather exaggerated in the movie. Soap-making is very fun, and a somewhat limited skill, plus you always, always have quick gifts in the house when needed, and you never EVER have to buy store soap again :)

M.K. said...

Dasha, I'll have to go check that out. Maybe seeing other people's lists will make me feel better? I also need to find a really great ripple blanket pattern that I can sink my teeth into. Thanks!

M.K. said...

Welcome, Susie! Lorraine is a sweetie, and I've loved reading her blog this last 6 months or so. Yes, we love our pups. And you are SO right that they have vastly different personalities. Thankfully, our two get along well. Male and female, so perhaps that helps. Our Sheltie, honestly, is rather neurotic. She's desperate to please and rather skittish. The Pom? Oh my, he is king of the world and lets everyone know it! :)

M.K. said...

Hello to Singapore! It's crazy to think how far away we all live from one another. I do assume my readers are ladies -- i suppose there might be a few silent male followers out there. Don't know. My husband became a "follower" he said, to boost my numbers :) So there's one! I'll enjoy reading about your life.

M.K. said...

Una, it will take a LONG time for me to work through them. And I'm only clicking on some whose names sound interesting to me. Just too many! I'm thrilled with all these new friends!

M.K. said...

Lorraine, I haven't done that fine thread crochet, but it is so beautiful -- it looks like tatting or lace-making to me. I need to go hunt on your blog and find a photo of your ripple blanket, if you posted one. I need ideas :) as I begin.

Michele said...

It was a wonderful day yesterday. My senses were in overjoyed overflow with all the vicarious lives out in the blog-verse. Things I want to do? Hmmm... I'm like you, not for a long long time have I sewn something for myself; I would like to learn to quilt, (the old fashioned way...all by hand); and I'd really much like to get into stain glass window making. We'll see what happens. LOL

M.K. said...

Me too, Michele -- it was a day of traveling in the spirit, as they say. I was so happy to meet so many bloggers from Australia and its environs. That was fun!

Deborah Montgomery said...

the GYB party was amazing. I have only visited about 30 sites out of 600 but I would really like to visit them all over the next couple months. The trouble is, I start reading, then I look at which blogs they follow, and click on a blog that sounds interesting, then get an idea for a blog post, then am inspired to try a certain craft, and have to write it down . . . and then wonder where the time went! It's been really fun, and it's been great to get so many comments myself. As a brand-new blogger, I'm still thrilled to see comments in my inbox! thanks MK!

Ida said...

The GYB event was fun and I happened upon your blog through it. It's nice to know your name now.

M.K. said...

I feel the same way. It is time-consuming, fun, educational, social -- it's been a huge boost to my blogging too. I end up drifting around from blog to blog and then later I cannot recall where I saw a certain photo or got a piece of inspiration!