Monday, April 7, 2008

When God hits you with a friendly sledgehammer...

Nod in agreement and tell Him that one hit is adequate. For several months, our ladies' Sunday school class has been studying "Your Scars Are Beautiful to God" by Sharon Jaynes. It's about coping with one's emotional scars, recognizing that God gave them to you for a reason, and finally being willing to share your hurts, for the building up of others. I grumbled internally at the idea of everyone's airing her dirty laundry, but had to agree that she seemed to have a point.

Then I went to visit my mother. And a friend asked me a favor. "Will you please be our speaker at our ladies' luncheon in May? Oh, and while you're up there, could you sing?" I gulped, regretted my words before I said them, and agreed.

The VERY NEXT DAY, back home, a nice lady from my church called me on the phone. "Our ladies' retreat is coming up soon, you know, and I haven't been able to find a speaker. Would you be willing to give you testimony? Oh, and while you're at it, could you sing?" I raised my eyebrow at the phone, and agreed.

To top it off, the next Sunday morning, our pastor (whose wife is in the SS class) decided to preach on the subject of being willing to share the troubles in your life, that God has given you - those scars are there for a reason!

Yes, God. I heard you. Those of you who know me well, also know that the prospect of sharing my testimony is fraught with dangers. I have assiduously avoided it. But the time has come to at least approach the job, and find out what I should say, and perhaps what I should not. Should be interesting. I'm avoiding the preparation for it, almost as well as I avoided the task itself for so long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey MK,
I am speaking at womens meeting next month as well and have been asked to speak on adversity. I am going to use the passage in Acts where Paul was shipped wreck and yet was still in the center of God's will.

As we know that is how God works - He takes us through a storm and that is the exact place He wants us to be and yet we humans think that we must be in the wrong place if the journey is difficult.

Pray for me - I will be praying for you.

SB

PS Tell Adam that oven is looking great and I am looking forward to bread and pizza from it this summer when we come to visit!