Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm Baa-aack!

Yes, back in the good ole U.S. of A. But had a lovely time on that pleasant island across the pond :) Have you seen silly people with their little cameras, arms stretched out in front of them, taking random pictures of themselves? Yes? That's me, below, standing in front of Buckingham Palace. It's not beautiful, as castles go. Rather boxy and industrial. Still, a good photo-op!

There we go - that's a better picture of it!

On Tuesday I had a chance to eat lunch in the crypt of St. Martin in the Fields church. They turned the crypt below the church into a cafe! What a wild idea, but to the Londoners, this is quite normal. So, people got their lunches on their trays, and walked on the slabs of 400-year-old dead people. I finally got dessert: apple crumble with custard on top. Yum! Didn't get to stay for the 1:00 concert in the church - what a disappointment, because I've ALWAYS wanted to hear music in that famous place. Oh well. Had to catch up with the group. Oh, BTW, here's a shot of the roof of the crypt cafe.

St. Martin's and the National Gallergy both sit right on Trafalgar Square with its impressive monument to Nelson. Here he is. I enjoyed the National Portrait Gallery. It was fabulous to see the ORIGINALS of all the great portraits of various writers, kings and queens. Wow.

This is just another shot of Big Ben and the houses of Parliament that I took earlier in the week, but I thought it was a beautiful evening shot, for the end of the trip. Hopefully I'll get to post some more later.
I'm so glad to be back home!

No comments: