Friday, August 31, 2012

Sunday's Snack Plan

This Sunday I'm in charge of providing the "snack" for our after-service fellowship time. This has developed into much more than a mere coff-and-donut affair, no matter how some of us ladies try to keep it snack-like. I mean honestly -- when you offer to feed grown men at 12:00 noon on any given day, can you expect them to eat just a little? I think not.

Adam will make a big crockpot full of homemade meatballs in sauce. 'Nuff said.
I'm making the cheese ball/loaf I made before, remember? With crackers.
I'm also making this delicious-sounding pumpkin dip from this website:
Here's the simple recipe:
15 oz can of pumpkin 
5 oz box of instant vanilla pudding {just the powder, don't make the pudding}
16 oz container of cool whip (Adam will make real whipped cream for me instead.)
1/2 tbl Pumpkin Pie Spice (or your own combination of spices)
1/2 tbl Cinnamon
 Although the carved-out pumpkin is cute, I'm not going to go to that much trouble this Sunday.
 
To that, I'll add a plate of veggies like carrots and celery, and an assortment of crackers and sliced cheese. You see, we do try to keep it as snack-like food. It's just impossible to keep it to snack-like portions. People will eat what you put out for them, and church ladies are never inclined to put out a measly dab of food when folks are hungry! But you know, our after-service fellowship time is one of the sweetest things our little church does. Very few churches eat together every single week. Many never eat together at all. My huge church that I grew up in still serves a Wednesday night supper ( I think), but years ago they quit the covered dish we children so enjoyed, and decided to have the meal prepared in the church kitchen by paid staff, and the eaters have to pay for their meals. That just takes all the fun out of it, doesn't it? It doesn't feel like the kingdom anymore; it feels like Morrison's Cafeteria. 
 
Okay, I could go on forever about how the church should be all about God's children bringing their tithes of food into His house and sharing it with each other in celebration. (Deut. 14:22ff)  That's the tithe. Not having an offering plate shoved under your nose so you can write a check, combine all the money, and pay somebody else to do the activities that should be joyfully shared by all. The kingdom of God is all about joyful celebration, and it involves food :) So, go eat together!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Yum! I make a similar pumpkin dip: pumpkin, cream cheese, marshmallow fluff, and a dash of yummy spices. We serve it with graham crackers, ginger snaps, fruit, etc.

M.K. said...

That sounds really good too, Sarah! And I generally like cream cheese so much better than cool whip. Might need to try that as well!

magsmcc said...

Pumpkins, pumpkins, oh pumpkins are one of my most favouritist things. Sigh. It's nearly pumpkin season here. We'll harvest them joyfully from the shelves of Tesco and enjoy the long two weeks they're about! I do so agree about food and churches. I do however also think that the money's good too- it pays ministers, par exemple?

Angela said...

I'm inclined to agree with you. Right now our church rents space for Sunday worship, but all other activities have to take place in someone's home. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The only hard thing is getting people to have the idea that THEY could host something too:)