Friday, April 3, 2009

Finally Friday

I've known all year that this stretch between mid-January and mid-April would be the hardest of the school year. And that the hardest part of that stretch would be the last full week. And the hardest day of that week would be: TODAY.

But finally, we are here.

We start our Spring Break, at last, next Thursday, with a half-day. We have truly earned it! I'm hoping for a short trip to West Virginia to reconnect with family and get AWAY from town.

I pulled out my antique (1795) copy of Paradise Lost that Adam gave to me years ago. I'm teaching parts of that epic this week. And I began reading last night in an 1805 edition of Scott's "The Lay of the Last Minstrel." I've had this gorgeous book for all these years, but never read it closely. It's a very rich story.

Yesterday we had such a nice, amiable family time at home, just sitting around, talking, reading, eating. No fussing. Anna made a from-scratch cake last night, and in spite of the fact that it is only about 1" tall, it is delicious and the icing is perfection. So, in the midst of uncertainty and trial, what a blessing it is to have a closely knit family. There is no replacement for that.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

Ahh, Milton ... I love Paradise Lost, and did my high school senior paper on Milton. You are a lucky woman to be able to share his work with eager (?) young minds (or at least dip into it every year ;-) )