Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Handmade gifts

I haven't made any handmade gifts this year myself, but I've been the recipient of a couple. Look what Julia made:
This is her first attempt at ancient Greek pottery :) Actually, I was quite impressed! Why?
1) She made this herself, without prompting.
2) It's straight from her school studies this quarter.
3) She dug the clay in the back yard, pressed the air out, shaped it, waited for a day when Adam was firing his bread oven, fired it, and then put the Greek design on it.
4) I think it's kind of cool!
Adam makes things for me with his hands every day. Here's tonight's example -- a banana split. He made the chocolate and caramel sauces, and brought it to me on the couch. Just because he loves me. (Romantic sigh...) Today he also:
1) repaired the toilet
2) made supper
3) made peanut brittle b/c I like it
-- All with his hands. Handmade gifts are wonderful!

Did I do anything loving with my hands today? I did! I helped make 70 Christmas cards for folks at a local nursing home. The girls' ballet group will be delivering them this week.

Hands leave an imprint of love and tenderness on the gifts that they make.

No comments: