Friday, July 22, 2011

Open Hands

Last night, Adam and I had to dash to the grocery. Philip and Anna decided they'd come along.
Anna is the huggy type; Philip pretends he doesn't care :)
Isn't it lovely to have a 19 and a 20 year old, who want to come to the grocery with the old folks? Oh, how precious they are to me! In a few weeks, they'll both be off to college. Sniff!

It's hard to let them go. A parent must have open hands, to release these young adults into their own lives. As I've said before, I think we've done a good job ensuring that they're ready; I just failed to make sure I was ready for it too! And it was one thing to send off that big, strapping boy. How in the world can I let go of that adorable little girl? When I look at her, I still see the two year old with a mass of thick, dark hair, who was only barely walking yet, and still wanted to be carried. She was tiny. She smiled and giggled, a happy child. Her first word was to her grandpa. She leaned toward him, grinned, and said, "Boo!" I can still see the expression on her face of wonder and fun.

I feel I am entering a new phase of life, and it will take some adjustment. If I'd had only two children, I'd need to adjust faster -- my empty nest would be now! I'm thankful that I had more. The remaining two will be a comfort, as these two are gone. Wouldn't it be nice if, by the time Julia heads off to college, I had a grandbaby to turn my mind toward? I won't look that far down the road. For today, I'm enjoying these two God-given wonders.

2 comments:

LeroyLime said...

Awww, stay strong Mama!! You have done an amazing job raising your beautiful family! And with tears in my eyes, I say, a job well done!

Pom Pom said...

Oh, you WILL miss them, won't you? I'm sure you'll have that grandchild just in time. Our kids always liked to go to the grocery store with me, too. Funny!