Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Layers of Reflection

 A quiet walk to the wildlife ramp down the street at sunset produced this view.
 Still making progress on the stripey blanket ...
 And a bit more .... That ripple stitch pattern was fun. I'm using only two kinds of yarn in this blanket (so far): Impeccable and Red Heart "Soft." They aren't exactly alike, but they're both worsted weight, and they work fine together.
 When we painted last week, I found Julia two canvases! Big canvases like this are expensive, at least $15 apiece at Michael's. These, however, came from our local thrift store (yes!), at $3 each. Some painter brought them in, and I knew Julia would be happy painting over them and giving them a new lease on life :)
 She applied a couple layers of white acrylic, and began adding black to reach a nice steely gray.
 This is her final picture:
 She wanted a painting to match her room decor. (She's really into decorating.) She has a good bit of gray and white.
So we're keeping going with our artistic sides and looking for beauty and creativity around us.

7 comments:

  1. You live in such a peaceful place, filled with much beauty.

    Your blanket is coming right along and that ripple pattern does look nice, not one I've done before.

    Your daughter did a great job with her painting and it looks very nice in her bedroom.

    Happy Creating and Living one day at a time ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks to me that you are having a happy, cozy winter:) I love the painting, the ripple blanket and the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, what a gorgeous painting. And how has she done those birds? Are they just black paper? If so, I am SO thinking of doing this in our spare room!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, the black birds are black posterboard paper, simply cut out with scissors. She's had those on her wall for quite a while. They look good with the new painting, don't they?

      Delete
  4. What a pretty sunset. - Your daughter did a great job with her painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blanket is just beautiful! And the painting --- I'm impressed. Your daughter is so talented. Painting over the canvas was a great idea. I re-use art substrate, too, often by tearing collaged pieces off, painting with gesso, and ending up with a lovely distressed, textured piece for another collage. Accidental art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a brilliant, money saving idea with the canvas! And look how pretty it looks. Your blanket is looking good. I bet it is fun. And I love your pink sky. Ours is just GRAY. Bleh. But we did get a little covering of snow today and that is always big news for Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I hope you leave a word ~ I will get back to it as soon as I can!