Thursday, February 27, 2014

Watching the Watchers

A few mornings ago I glanced out the kitchen window and noticed a group of people standing in the road nearby. That's not unusual in Oriental; we have morning walkers at the crack of dawn around here, stalwart 75 year olds who brave the wind with sailing coats and make the rounds. But these folks weren't moving.
They were standing, staring, photographing. Clearly, something was up! In small towns, everybody gets excited when something is up!
When they pulled out the tripods and such, I realized from the quiet seriousness of the situation that they must be our local bird-watching group.
The lady in the blue coat on the porch is our local bird expert. I stepped out on my back stoop and took photos of people taking photos. That's how boring we are around here :)
Later that day as I rode my bike by the house, the owner came out, and I asked her what was up. She showed me her back yard, festooned with feeders and colorful things to attract birds. She has a few painted buntings, she said.
This is not her painted bunting, but one I lifted from Google.
So I met my neighbor, to whom I'd also sold a pair of smittens last fall and a market bag last summer. We had a nice chat, I met her doggie Lulu, and told her about our bees. She's happy about bees and said to please let her know what she should plant in her yard to feed them. Isn't that nice? I do like a town where people are out-and-about and are pleasant to know.

11 comments:

mysteryhistorymom said...

What an adventure! And just across the street! The buntings are gorgeous- and you've even made a new friend. Success! Lori

Nancy said...

Ah, your neighborhood is more exciting than ours! My husb loves birds and he probably would have brought everyone coffee and joined them. =)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a happy, 'unboring' post.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Must be a Southern bird. Worthy of the attention!

Deborah Montgomery said...

never seen this bird in our area -- I can see how she/he would attract attention, so beautiful!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Simply delightful! What a nice way to spend time! Vic put up two new bluebird boxes today --- love nesting season!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

I would love to see that gorgeous bird at our feeder. What a nice thing to ask, what she should plant to feed the bees. The bees around here love our rosemary bushes and herbs in general more than anything else.

Ida said...

Oh I would have been out there too taking photos if there was that pretty of a bird around. I loved that you took pictures of the picture takers.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Beautiful bird! enjoyed your pictures of the picture takers...funny! the older I get, the more simple pleasures thrill me.

GretchenJoanna said...

Yes, that is heartening, about the bee-loving, bird-loving neighbor. You were a good neighbor to go nosing around yourself. :-)

Leslie said...

Oh mercy that sounds so FUN! You have a great little town! I think I might keel over dead with happiness if I thought there were that many people interested in birds here in my neighborhood.